View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Duke and Golden Corral 
All-star
All-star

There is one part of the book that I knew I had to comment on. When the Klan held a rally and invited Duke, former grand dragon, to be the keynote speaker. He spoke about how immigrants are changing his way of life and destroying his culture and all that other jepper jabber. The funny thing is they decide to go the Golden Corral to get a meal and the first thing that Peter notices is Duke throws a piece of chicken on his plate. Seriously, how big of a hypocrite can you be? He just got done with a two hour speech about how immigrants are destroying his culture and then he goes and eats a piece of chicken that one of those immigrants probably processed. I just thought that was a part in the book that describes how people don’t realize the amount of work immigrants do to keep the things we enjoy easily assessable.

Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:31 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I found that part of the book quite amusing as well. It was funny to me that Duke ate fried chicken after his speech about how terrible the immigrants were. But, on a serious note, as you said Zach, it did show Duke's hypocrisy. This incident is a picture of many people who seem to hate immigrants; people don't want immigrants in their country, but they certainly are willing to enjoy the fruits of the immigrants' hard labor.

Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:54 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Cuadros makes a point about that part in the book in his speech that night at the student union after convocation. He said that after he saw that he didn't need that interview with Duke anymore. I agree with the previous two post and that Duke is a hypocrite. He doesn't want immigrants, but fails to realize that immigrants are the ones that helped put that chicken on his plate.

Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:55 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

this part of the book really made me think because many people often complain about something then go and do something that is directly related to what they were complaining about.
When Duke went and got the fried chicken i think it show how unknowledgeable he is about the whole controversy and therefore should not be rioting against the immigrants. He doesn't understand that if these immigrants weren't here that chicken he loves so much would not be on his plate. If he did think through this he might have a different opinion but maybe not because he is such a one-sided guy.

Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:33 am
All-star
All-star

I think it also shows that Duke is not passionate about the illegal immigrant situation. If he did care, then he would be more observant of the products he used. He seemed to be there just for the money he would get from selling his recently published book at that time(I got that from the book).

Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:31 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Earlier in the semester, I remembered one of my Spanish teachers in High School telling me about a movie that displayed how important Hispanics are to the United States. I couldn't recall the name of the movie, so I brushed the idea off. However, after reading this post and the discussion of hypocrisy I decided to look up the movie. I found a the details about a movie that came out in 2004 called A Day Without a Mexican. You have to check it out. The trailer is worth watching.

www.adaywithoutamexican.com

Audrey Fowler

Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:29 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that this part of the book is hilarious, but I do wish Cuadros had approached Duke again. It would have been interesting to see what Duke might have had to say about where his chicken came from.

btw that trailer is hilarous

Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]