View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Clubs for minorities 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

At my highschool (and in college) there are several clubs that are only for minority groups. For example, my highschool had a Muslim Student Association and several other clubs of that nature. What do you guys think about this? Do you think that it is more hurtful or helpful to those groups and the groups that aren't included?

Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:52 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have always had a problem with exclusive groups. The point of most of these groups such as the African-American groups or the Muslim groups is to advance diversity and to help people gain a better understanding of their culture. But if they are exclusive then how are people of other religions or cultures going to get to experience that? I have always thought that these exclusive groups were doing more harm then good.

Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:59 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Matthew but I don't know if I feel as strongly that they are doing MORE harm then good. They do allow these people who might feel alienated from the general school population to belong to a group. I agree that they shouldn't only be open to people of that group. These groups should be to teach others. I think we shouldn't allow any club to be exclusive to any one person. Everyone should be allowed to join any group.

Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:03 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree that the clubs shouldn't be exclusive. They are there to support people of the particular minority and to further educate people about their rece or ethnicity. But, like Matt said, other students need to have access to this information as well. This would help promote understanding and diversity, unlike exclusivity. I knew a white female student at ASU who joined the BSA (Black Student Association) so apparently not all clubs are exclusive. Although she might have gotten some wierd looks, she still had the same opportunities to learn about the African American culture and be a part of the club like they did.

Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:59 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

But I still find that a problem Chelsey, "The weird looks". I certainly would not join a club like that because I want to feel comfortable. But thats the catch, you want these other people to join but it's hard to make them feel comfortable. It'd be like a Muslim student joining the FCA, or a white student joining the BSA. Most of the members would be accepting of the student and glad they joined to give them a different view point, but then you will always have some people that have predetermined point of views that will make the minority feel awkward.

Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:16 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with the idea that these groups should not be exclusive. Although, I also see how that when a student joins a minority club, and that student is not actually in that minority group, that student may receive many "weird looks." However, if the student receiving those looks doesn't mind the attention, then I don't believe there is any problem. I also don't believe that if a minority club remains exclusive that it is hurtful to students not in the minority. An exclusive minority club offers support and interaction with others in the minority. It doesn't condemn or hurt people not in the minority. I know I am not hurt by the idea that I may not be able to join a Muslim organization because I am Christian.

Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:10 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Like Chelsey said, I am pretty sure most minority clubs do not turn away people who are not completely homogenous to everyone else. For example, someone who is not african american may want to support his/her friends or someone who is heterosexual may want to support friends who are homosexual. I see clubs as groups of people that share a common interest. So be it that many of the clubs have homogenous groups of people. Part of that characteristic may influence the people to have a common interest.

Audrey Fowler

Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]