View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Discipline for outside the classroom behavior. 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't think we have really discussed this but the issue came up with my niece a few weeks ago. She has a birth defect to where she has lost 85% of her hearing in her right ear. She finally got a hearing aid in September that she has to wear to school. As she was getting on the bus to go home one of her classmates began making fun of her. How do we, as teachers, deal with this? We can not be everywhere at once. My sister was mad and was going to talk to the teacher but I thought to myself, the teacher can't police what happens in the bus line. Who should be responsible for this, and how would you handle it in your classroom?

Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:05 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Teachers can't be everywhere but they should deal with bullying in the classroom which in turn children should take what they learned from the teacher and apply it in the 'real world'. Your sister should learn techniques to learn how to deal with bullies (which talking to an adult is a good one) and the bully needs to be taken a side and talked to.

Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:08 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Maja. While a teacher might not take the student aside and talk to him right away, I would certainly do a lesson on bullying and proper behavior. Maybe this would stop the problem. If not, then I think that I would go to that child and talk to him about the issue. While the teacher wasn't there to witness it first hand, it still affects the child being bullied and could even hinder her classroom performance. The teacher could also monitor the bus line one day in order to try and prevent the bullying.

Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]