View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Importance of nature in the learning process 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I read the book Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv and its really good. This is from the back of the book to give you guys a quick idea of what its all about:
" The staggering divide between the children and the outdoors...directly links the absence of nature and the lives of todays wired generation to some of the most disturbing childhood trends: the rise in obesity, attention disorders, and depression."

Outdoor experiential education and simply allowing children to be outside has been directly proven for healthy childhood and adult development. How can we bring the outdoors back to public education to enrich the lives and minds of our students at a young and impressionable age?

Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:30 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Maja, I agree. I think nature and the outdoors are important and I think teachers need to promote these things and encourage physical activity and exploration to their students. I can remember going on nature hikes, scavenger hunts, and even fieldtrips to nature centers in my school career. Even in high school, some of my classes would just go outside to read or walk for a few minutes. This change of scenery was very beneficial and was encouraging to students who saw the same four white walls everyday. This can also be a form of inspiration for some students or even a reward for good behavior. It could possibly motivate students who are otherwise not very driven.

Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:38 pm
All-star
All-star

I think nature could be included in all classrooms. I hope to team either English or Social Studies in middle school, and I can think of several ways for students to interact with nature in my classroom. Students in a Language Arts class could go outside and write about what they see. In a Social Studies classroom, students could look at the geography around them and compare it to the places they have learned about it. Although these activities don't get students exercising, hopefully they would increase the students' interest in nature, etc.

Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:19 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with what it said about having more outdoor activities in schools. I had a class in high school that dealt with being outside and cleaning up the general grounds around the school. It was a great class and we did such activities as spreading mulch and creating trails around the school. The only problem that might arise with such an activity is liability. We had to fill out a lot of paper work in order to be in this class for liability reasons. I think that is a major reason why schools try and avoid outdoor programs.

Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:32 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with the idea that children should be involved in learning activities outside. When I was growing up, I didn't spend all my time inside on the computer, watching TV, or playing video games; I enjoyed spending much time outdoors. I realize that it may be difficult to engage students in activities that involve physical activity, but I agree that just simply holding a class period outside every once in a while might be quite beneficial to the students.

Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]