View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

On the topic of multiple genders, what is you view. I know they are out there, but I am not sure that it is our place to talk about it in the classroom. I feel that this is something that should be handled by people outside the classroom in a private place. It should only become a problem for us when it interfers with learning.

Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:58 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree. Like you mentioned, the only time where I would feel as if this is an issue in the classroom is when it interfers with learning, which I feel should be handled and discussed with the child only. Honstly, I wouldn't feel comfortable handling such a situation, yet alone discussing it in class. If a child is having problems with gender issues, I think it would be in the best interest of the child to seek help outside of the classroom.

Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:00 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with you both. I don't think it is our job to talk about gender issues with our class. This is a very sensitive subject and parents have many different views on the issue. I don't think that we are the ones who need to introduce or discuss these issues with the students. Like Melanie said, I think we should point them in the right direction if they need help, by taking them to the guidence office and letting the counselor handle it. We should be supportive of the student but it isn't our place to talk about it, unless it disrupts learning, like you both have said. After all, teachers don't usually tell kids that Santa is or isn't real.

Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]