View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 A Home on the field: Bringing it closer to home 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

While meeting in groups to discuss the Paul Cuadros book, I realized that we might have paid more attention to the book because some of us got the chance to hear the author speak and even meet him later on. I think this really affected my thoughts and opinions while reading and I think it would do the same for students. If students could meet the authors of books or war veterans or other people who have had an active part in their subject matter, I think they would become more interested and more devoted to the subject. What do you think, and how could you bring people in or give the students first hand experience with their subjects?

Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:54 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

i definitely agree. any exposure that students can have to actual artifacts (people, places, things) of the subject they study will always perk more interest. by investing in viewing these things or talking to the people to lived events, students invest more in trying to find out about these subjects. I definitely think that the exposure helps. :shock: :wink: :roll: i just decided to put in smiley faces. ignore those.

Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:18 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I definitely agree. Having students hear an author speak about their book really brings the book to life. It allows students to comprehend the meaning behind the author's words, and can really draw the student into the subject. It also provides the student with the opportunity to ask the author any questions he/she may have.

Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]