View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Citizenship Requirements and Overpopulation 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Last class we talked about immigration and how hard it is to become an American citizen. There are many pros and cons for making citizenship requirements and procedures easier, but I wanted to bring up the same arguement Nikki did in class, while playing the role of devil's advocate, because we ran out of time and I thought it was a very good question. Do to the overpopulation problems in the U.S., should citizenship requirements for immigrants be made easier and more attainable since many are already in the country illegally; or would these easier requirements make overpopulation an even beigger problem than it already is?

Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:52 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I feel like the "problem" of immigration will never go away in America. The conundrum is that if we legalize all illegal immigrants or make citizenship easier to attain the corporations who lured them here will no longer look for those immigrants and, in all likelihood, the labor force that the immigrants come for will no longer be as vivacious. The thing is that illegial immigrants in America are already here and they are still coming into the US, so why continue to keep them illegal and ship them away when they're providing for our economy while costing taxpayers money on services the illegal immigrants are not paying. I just think that we should have some sort of amnesty law where if X, Y, and Z happen then an illegal alien becomes legal. What those factors are or could be, I have no idea.

Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:28 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that the overpopulation problem in America is more of a problem of us not using our resources to the fullest and not effectively using the land that we do have. I understand that the problem is real and that it is increasing rapidly, but I feel like it was something we should have accommodated for in past policies. Now we are dealing with the results of our excessive lifestyles, laziness, and oblivious focus on our own lives. Now that overpopulation is a threat to the more elite lifestyle, it becomes a focus in our society (because those are the people in office and who have influence to make change) But we shall see if it is a little late to turn the system around.

Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:00 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Hmmm...that's a very good question. I am not entirely sure. I think that it might make overpopulation more of a problem because more people would hear "how easy" it is to become a citizen and flock over to the US even more.

Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]