View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 ADHD 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The use of medication that are used to counteract ADD has increased by 600% between 1990 and 1995. Between 2000 and 2003 spending on ADHD for pre-schoolers increased 369%. 90% of young people diagnosed and put on medication for ADHD are male. What do you guys think about this craziness? How does this effect us as teachers?

Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:46 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

when I see these stats I think that in some cases it is being over diagnosed, but I could be wrong. As for teaching these students, we need to understand that kids have short attention spans, whether they are classified as ADHD or not. I have never been diagnosed with ADHD and I don't even think I have a problem with focusing and staying on task, but after about 30 minutes I need a little break or I'll just zone out.

Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:00 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

Matthew, I agree. Although I believe that ADHD is something that truly affects students, I also believe that many children diagnosed simply need to become more active. Many students today do not play outside or inside...they simply watch tv. With the quick breaks and fast paced mentality of television, its hard to expect children who watch tons of tv to be able to differentiate between life as it is when they watch tv and life as it is when they must focus for longer periods of time.

Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:53 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have to agree with what Whitney said about kids watching more t.v. and not exercising as much anymore. I think that it has a direct affect on students ability to pay attention in class and that prescribing ADHD medication does not solve the problem.

Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:14 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

We as teachers just need to remember to get to know our students and plan our classes according to the students. Standard lesson plans that are only lectured based will not cut it with most students today. Its getting to where teachers need to find more ways to be entertainers rather than educators.

Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]