View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 recess 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Should recess be longer? More organized? less organized? What do you guys think?

Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:54 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that recess should be longer. I don't think it needs to organized more or less. I also believe that too many students are not getting enough exercise and this is having a direct effect on classroom behavior and overall productivity. I was recently told that gym may become a required class in the middle grades. Has anyone else heard about this??

Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:45 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

PE is already required in the Middle grades it is recess that isn't require. However i think recess does not need to be organize because this is a time the students can do what they want for a change and not be tied down with rules and criteria for what they have to do. Recess should be 30 minutes but it would be great if they would extend 15mins. Therefore they have a full 30 mins to play because the lining up to go outside and inside cuts into their play time. Kids need recess!!

Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:27 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I'm sort of confused on this topic. How is recess different than PE. Would recess be when you take your class outside for a 30 minute break?
I also agree that students being active is key to behavior. When they don't have enough time to use that energy they get back in the classroom and are all antsy, atleast that is how I was. It's a shame that programs like this are being cut, or not given the proper focus. With the epidemic of obesity in the US, you'd think we would make more of an effort to have the students be fit in school because that might be the only time some of the students are active.

Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:09 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think recess should be longer. I don't think that recess should be organized. Recess is simply a time for children to have fun, do what they want (to a limit), and release their excess energy.

Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:59 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Matt to help you out, I think the difference (in elementary school) between recess and PE is that PE is organized and run by a teacher (many times inside in a gym). The children play specific games and have "orderly" play. Recess is outside and unorganized (but still supervised) where the children are given options of games (jumpropes are provided along with balls and maybe sidewalk chalk) but they are allowed to play however they want. This was my experience between recess and PE in elementary school.

Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]