View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Healthcare 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

As we're entering the cold and flu season it makes me think about all the students that will miss time due to illness. Students from low-income families seem to me to be at a higher risk of missing more days from a lack of health insurance coverage to cover doctors visits. I think it is an injustice that the United States is nearly the only developed nation that doesn't have a national coverage plan for all of its citizens. Our system takes lots of money and great coverage which plenty of our students do not have. What do you all think? Is there any solution that the area of education can offer nationally?

Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:00 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree totally that we need some kind of universal healthcare. I haven't thought about how low income students would miss more time due to illness because of this problem but you make an interesting point. I'm not sure what the policy about absences is now but when I was in Highschool the most you could miss was 9 days without a valid excuse such as a serious illness or injury.
One solution to this is to be aware of the students home life. If they are truly sick send home a makeup work packet of some kind so that they won't be as far behind. You could also make a policy that for every class you miss you need to come early or stay late to make sure they are keeping up with their assignments.

Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:04 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]