View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Student Athletes 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

How would you, as the teacher, handle a situation like this:

The star basketball player has you as a teacher. During basketball season they begin to fall behind in their homework and their grades begin to drop. Obviously they have to maintain a certain GPA to be eligible to play, but thats the bear minimum. How do you relate to the student and show them that even though they are making good enough grades to play they aren't reaching their full potential as a student?

Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:12 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I haven't really considered this situation before, but I'm glad you brought it up.

I think I would either pull the student aside during class or talk to he/she after class about how their grades are slipping. I would tell them that I understand that basketball is an important and time-consuming part of their life right now. I would remind them though that it is important to keep focused in class and keep up with their work. I may even ask them if there was anything I could do to help them keep up with their work. I don't know if I would set up a plan to allow the student to turn in certain assignments a day late or not. I guess this is a situation that I'm not quite sure how I would handle it.

Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:54 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Great topic. The teacher needs to remind the student athlete of their goals. Surely, if the student is the star basketball player they have hopes of going to college, the teacher needs to remind the student that it takes alittle more effort to go to the bigger schools and maybe show the student some facts such as what kind of grades the competition has. Maybe there is an equally as good athlete at another school and the determining factor of them going to their choice school is better grades.

Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:25 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I would have to talk to the student outside of class about his slipping grades. I would ask him if HE feels that he is performing at his full potential in the class. Maybe the kid had more time to study and work on homework earlier in the semester because basketball season hadn't started yet. But now that the season is in full swing, the student could be still putting forth his best efforts toward your class, he just has more distractions, less time, and less energy. But he is still trying very hard. Find out the situation from the mouth of the student themself and see if you can help or allieviate any kind of challenges they may be facing.

Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]