View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Lateral Entry Teachers 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

A question I have been thinking about for a long time is, are lateral entry teachers as prepared as those teachers who recieve degrees in education in their respective fields? I hope lateral entry teachers recieve adequate training when trying to attain licensure, but if the training is not adequate, is this really a positive answer to teacher shortage?

Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:39 pm
All-star
All-star

I do not think they are as adequately prepared. After all, many lateral entry teachers have degrees in the field they want to teach, but they have no educational background except what they experienced in school. I think with today's view on education, coming in as a lateral entry teacher would be incredibly hard, especially with all of the "highly qualified" standards, etc.

Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:21 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think it takes a special type of lateral entry teacher to be successful. Lateral entry teachers bring so much knowledge to the classroom, but some lack in the management of the classroom. Some are good with that because they are parents and can bring that experience to the classroom. It takes a teacher that bring all this together to be successful.

Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:37 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

An interesting note on this. We had to do professional development this semester for a class and took a field trip to CMS schools. We toured Granger High, which is a project school through the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. The Principal there had us talk to what she said was "Her best Teacher by far" He had just graduated from UNC-Chapel Hill with a degree in History and was in the process of going back to school for his teaching certification. He was very bright, and all the kids enjoyed his class. He was implementing all of these philosophies we have learned in the College of Ed, yet the only Education class he had at Carolina was a survey class.

Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:05 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]