View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Elite schools 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Earlier in the semester, we watched the film The American Dream at Groton. We have also read a few articles about elite schools and their academic advantages. I have thought about how different I would have turned out academically and as a person if I would have went to an elite school, like Groton. Have any of you considered the differences (positive and negative) attending an elite school would have made in your life?

Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:55 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I can not imagine what going to such an elite school would have been like. I sure it would have changed everything: my values, goals in life, etc. I am sure that I would have a different outlook on life. Am I certainly happy with the way my life has turned out. Would I have been better off, happier even, if I went to a "better" school? There is no way to actually know. I do know that things could have been much worse. I am just thankful that I had the opportunity to go to school and even better, college. It is interesting to think about Melanie. Who knows.

Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:23 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This just shows what kind of influence we have as teachers. If I had gone to an elite schoole where the competition and expectations were sky-high, I'm not sure what kind of person I would be right now. I think that its crazy how we, as teachers, can not only influence a child's education but their lives and outlook on life.

Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]