View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Something on ability grouping 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I just wanted to share with everyone from my experience in block 1 this semester. We talked a lot about ability grouping in class and Mountain View Elementary in Morganton has an interesting way of doing this. The students in 3-5 are placed in reading groups based on what grade level they read on so they are cross grade level. And the same is done in k-2. They also receive language arts and math based on their ability level within their own grade. They can be moved to another group at any time if they show sufficient reason to be moved either up or down. I thought this was really interesting. Does anyone else have a school that does something different?

Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:11 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In Cranberry, a few years ago, as a substitute I worked with groups of 3 targeting reading improvement in between the classes (during flex time, and/or during a period when the instructor I was subbing for didn't have a class). The three students I met with each had different levels, and I think the stronger reader helped encourage the other two to keep up when reading out loud. I think the short 20 minutes or so for each group really helped - but I don't know for sure that this was considered "ability grouping" as Julie was referring to at Mountain View.

How do you feel about pairing similar levels, versus a diversity of reading levels?

Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:34 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]