View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Disobedience 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I just finished reading Why Johnny Can’t Disobey and looking at the different pictures of lynching online. Like Megan Van Hoy I too had to stop and just sit for a second after I looked at the pictures online. Whenever I see pictures of things like that, especially when they are done out of complete racism, it makes me physically sick and furious. I don’t understand how someone can hate someone so much solely by the color of his or her skin. I don’t understand what makes one person think they are so much better than another due to something the other person has no control over (like skin color). But I won’t get on a soapbox about that and I’ll try and talk about the article about Johnny instead.

This is one of the most unique articles about disobedience I have ever read. I have never really taken the time to think about disobedience quite as much as Sarah J. McCarthy has. When I think about it though, asking questions and challenging standardized beliefs is the best way to learn. Students should be taught to explore different possibilities and learn for themselves. They shouldn’t be taught to accept everything they are told to be correct. I had a class last semester that talked about how many factual mistakes are in one single textbook and it is ridiculous! No author or researcher is perfect so it is understandable that there will be mistakes. But teachers should be aware of this and make their students aware of this as well. Maybe then students would learn to challenge what they are being taught and bring about a beneficial change to the educational system or standard course of study.

Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:12 pm
All-star
All-star

Way to go Megan. Critical thinking and questioning everything is the key to a well rounded education. I do believe in self discipline, one needs to control one's own actions and take responsibility for those actions. Maybe that is part of the educational systems problems, not questioning the why's and how comes of society.
I also am revulsed by the hanging pictures, I just wish I understood the mentality behind such actions. As a historian I can read who, what and where of an event; but in understanding the why's, I have a hard time believing in mankind.

Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:29 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

It took awhile till I really tied these two articles together. Even though one was mainly just pictures. I had heard of the psychology experiment in the Johnny article from a friend who is a psych major. It gave some examples such as religion and Hitler to demonstrate dangerous group think. That experiment is a pretty scary thing. I am sure that many of us thought to ourselves I would not be the person who kept shocking those poor people to death.

It kind of makes you wonder what you would do if you born two or three generations ago, what would you have done about lynchings? Lynchings were a scary brought to real-life experiment in which we lost a lot. As you can see by the pictures it was a myriad of lives taken but what else is troubling is the consequences of these actions drastically shaping human relations today.

Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:34 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Going on with what Robert said about understanding people's actions, I to will never understand some of the actions that have been taken by people. I to am a history major and like Robert said we can sit and read and read and study but still I as hardly anyone else will ever know the true reasoning behind some of the actions. What also upsets me greatly is knowing that there are still people in the world today who still share these same thoughts as Jim Jones or Hitler did. We still have "Pro White" groups in America that think along the same lines as Hitler and groups like those that followed Jim Jones. But going along with that article, i mean i still find it hard to believe that there were people in world who thought like this, but at the same time as the article implied people go through school day after day being taught and told what do to and it is implied to them, this is how you are suppose to think, and is all of this really that much different? Of course what they were told to believe in is something that would never come up in schools, but these people were simply following orders they were given by their leader.

Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:03 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In response to the video today, I can't believe how low peoples morals are. I understand that they were given orders and in war, they must follow those, but there's come a point when sometimes it's really not okay. It's hard to believe that even today, especially overseas people get treated the way they do and others don't care or do anything about it. I don't think that people will change anytime soon and it's hard to understand why sometimes. When faced with duties or even their own beliefs, sometimes humans get out of control and we won't ever understand their conditon as to why they do the things they do, and that's hard to deal with.

Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:55 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was actually just reading in my Music Education textbook about a style of teaching music called Orff-Schulwerk. It reminded me a bit about this article and how children are blindly taught out of textbooks and rarely get to experience real life activities.

Orff-Schulwerk is very unique in that all the music concepts are taught by physically doing them instead of just learning them in a textbook. I believe that this teaching philosophy, especially for music, is absolutely necessary to nurture a child's love and understanding for any subject. Teachers should consider activities that engage many different senses, especially tactile. Everyone may not agree, but I believe that a student learns best when they are put in a real life situation and forced to learn through experience.

Meaghan Dunham
Music Ed.

Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:58 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Meaghan, I agree and I think that a lot of the teaching styles and strategies we learn about in special education are multi-sensory approaches. But also they focus on the ability for the student to understand the rationale behind the assignment and the connection the assignment has in real-life situations. So I agree completely about the need for this "style" of teaching.

Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:56 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In response to Preston, I truly believe that most people that are still racist is due to ignorance. It is the only logical explanation that I can believe. Even if I would consider conformity as a result of these reactions, especially race, it still can only be contributed to ignorance. If you look at statistics of violence in cultures, it is most high in places of poverty and low education. Not to say that there are not educated racists, not that it is any excuse, but they do mostly keep their opinions repressed. Then there is the other scenario of generational teachings, but in time, I believe that other races are outnumbering previous dominating races. And who knows... there may be a day when race will no longer be distinguishable.

Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]