View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Social class and effects on educational outcomes. 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think we, as educators, should take this knowledge and apply to our clasrooms so that each student can benefit from the views and ideas of other students from all other social levels. Maybe by having discussion groups like we do in this class. I know I have grown a little by listening to others in this class alone.

Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:13 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

As we all have stated on the discussion board and in class, social class has a lot to do with the education we receive and our experience with our educational career. I went to a rural high school that was pretty medium in size, I wouldn't consider it small nor large. But everyone felt that the social class of the students could be determined pretty easily. There definitely groups in each class and most of the classes you took were with the class and group you were with. Through elementary to high school, the people in my class did not change much and from our discussion today in class, I understand why that was. It was not because my schools had small amounts of people and there were few classes, it was the way the decided to group each class.

Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:26 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

My father didn't finish high school and my mother didn't finish college. They did not get involved in my education. When I was in elementary school a lot of teachers looked down on me because of my background but by middle school that was no longer the case. I had 'proved' myself I guess. I have seen the affects of social class on education, but I was lucky that it didn't really hurt me.

Thu May 01, 2008 11:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2