View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Talking about social class. 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

As we talk about social class on the discussion forum and yesterday in class, how does talking about social class make you feel? Dr. Turner asked the question yesterday and a few people touched on the topic. I for one have mixed feeling talking about this topic. For one, the subject of social class disgusts me any way, and the fact that this is what America is full of and broken down into upsets me. I dont see a problem in simply discussing it as we do in class and on here, but when people as on the video start talking about "white trash" people being the obvious lowest class, that upsets me, and i dont think anyone has the right to say whos the lowest class. I dunno, thats just my reaction to it so let me know what you all think.

Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:34 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have similar feelings; I really don't mind talking about social class, but I don't think it's right for one "group" to talk about another like they are "better" or "worse" than them. People are different, and for the most part, you can't help what social class you are/was born into. I just think it's interesting that everyone has different experiences because of it.

Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:46 pm

It is not, in my opinion, okay to say that one social class is better than the other however I think that if we identify the different classes of people instead of acting like they don't exist as some people tend to do, we will be better equiped to handle the struggles associated with "being from" a certain class.

Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:55 am
All-star
All-star

I agree that nobody should assume that a certain class is better or worse than the other, but simply different. It is crazy to listen/watch other people's opinions. Interesting, but it can sometimes really make me angry. I personally know a lot of people who look "down" on other classes, and that close-mindedness (if that is a word) really gets to me sometimes.

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:37 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Most times I feel pretty comfortable about talking about social class but that is when I am trying to show others how fortunate I am concering some things. Granted I feel more comfortable talking about it with friends in similar social class. I appreciate everything that I have and had in my life. Today at work a man came in and he was definitely homeless and you could tell that he hadnt had a shower in a while and I thought about how glad that I have been lucky growing up.

Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:10 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think there is a distinct difference in certain people who have money and those that don't. And of course, there are exceptions to every rule, because not all of the economically fortunate act like the stereotypical "snob" or are condescending to those that are not fortunate, but my personal belief is that it is often true. My oldest half-sister makes very good money and her arrogance to the rest of our family is so obnoxious. It makes me so angry because not everybody thinks that money is the most important thing in life and I feel sorry for people that do. And to top off that that makes her look even less admirable, it almost makes me feel sorry that she lives in an office for hours and openly admits that she puts herself on a pedestal - literally... a "pedestal." Come on... :shock:

Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:35 pm
All-star
All-star

The resposes to this topic makes me realize just how unfortable social class is in this country. There really is no shame in being from a working family, or to be just surviving economically in life, but even we as higher educated students have problems facing the fact that there is a social class problem in the United States. I respect the person who can work at the same job for twenty years, even if that job sucks. It wouldbe nice to say work hard and you will do fine, but that is not always true. Look at the stock market crash. People saved and invested in the stock market, then many committed suicide when it crashed. The poor man who could not afford to invest still suffered economically, but didn't feel the need to end it all.

Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]