View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Are you ready to be an educator? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am a little nervous, but eager to begin the next stage. As Allyson stated, in special education we are certified in K-12 and are expected to understand the content within that area. But I feel that I have received enough classroom instruction, because as everyone says you learn the most about your job by actually doing it.

Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Elizabeth. I am extremely excited about finally being a teacher and having my own classroom to teach one day. But I don't know think I'll ever learn enough in college to truly prepare me for my first year. I think it'll take me a few years to get used to teaching and figure out how I work best and which strategies kids like and don't like. My biggest fear of course are the standardized tests and whether or not I'll have enough time to cover everything my students will encounter on those tests.

Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:17 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with Laura and Jayme. I am also a BK major and I am completely terrified to teach. Esp. with student teaching next semester!

We are being taught to be developmentally appropriate when in reality school isnt. So its hard to really understand how we are supposed to go about being that what in a school system like ours!

And like Jayme and Laura said I to am not sure after I graduate that I really actually want to to teach school anymore! :cry:

Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:51 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I know that I am now more ready to teach than i ave ever been in my life. But that being said I am terrified. I know I have all the information in my head, and i know what to do in so many different circumstances, but what if I mess up? What would be the reaction of my students and peers if I teach something incorrectly. With us Music Educators, we have the pleasure of giving our students their test in front of an audience. That is exactly what a concert is, a test for the students to be evaluated on their musical ability, and a test for the director on his ability to teach, and we get to do all of this in front of a large audience of parents, teachers, and administrators. So yeah... I am a little scared.

Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:16 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Now that I am getting more into the serious classes, I have become a lot more apprehensive about teaching. Sometimes I don't even know if that's what I want to do anymore. It's so depressing because now, more than ever I should be more interested and excited about teaching, and I don't think that I am. Maybe I'm just in a hunch but I have contemplated changing my major but I know that it's probably not in my best interest since I have come so far. I guess everyone probably goes through this when they are going through college, but I just wish I was more sure about what I wanted! I guess we'll see what happens when I start taking more classes.

Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:50 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Got to agree with everyone on here on this topic. We are not going to be perfect teachers at any point in our careers, much less as soon as we graduate. We are going to make mistakes but we have to learn from our mistakes to become better teachers. In my opinion that is what is going to make or brake us as teachers. We have to be able to critique ourselves and make our lessons better through experience.

Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:24 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I find it comforting that Megan brought up this topic. I can't hardly believe how diverse everyone's opinion of getting out there really is. I have been so terrified this semester. It has actually given me serious anxiety. I often think:

What I hate teaching?
What if I can't even find a job?
What if the kids don't respect me because I'm 5'0"?
How am I really prepared for this?
Do I just walk in the first day with my own agenda of what to teach and go at it?

I feel very alone, very confused, very unprepared. I think classes have prepared us for the knowledgeable background of what there is to be taught for our curriculum, but they have not prepared us, nor can they, in the ways of dealing with administration as our superiors, or dealing with parents, or dealing with children that come in to the class with issues that we can't hardly imagine at this point. I'm actually even terrified to student teach... I guess we'll see how it goes.... :roll:

Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:51 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I feel less scared and more excited because of this semester. I've been teaching private lessons and it's just made me feel as if teaching is not so much the unknown future as it is the present.

I know I'm unprepared, but I will always be. I think that if you wait to do something because you're not ready, you'll never start. You're never going to know everything you need to about teaching. You can have knowledge and experience, but there's always more to learn.

Thu May 01, 2008 10:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2