View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Racism, Ancestors, and where we stand 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

We had a great discussion in class the other day about racism and I mentioned how I thought the tides were turning away from racism. But many subjects were brought up about the election and comments such as "obama and hillary would both be shot if they were elected." While racism is still evident in companies and corporations do you guys think it is due to the generational racism of our ancestors and if so, as our generation starts to fill those positions do you think it will change. I am interested in seeing the different opinions and if you guys think racism is still as prevalent today or if its because of generation our leaders now grew up in. Will it change?

Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:03 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with you chaise! I think that things will change once the older generation is out and our generation is taking on more and more roles in society!

Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:22 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Definitely agree with both of you guys and with what you said in class. I do think that racism is more evident in our older generation. That means it us up to our generation to continue to make the change.

Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:55 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I definitely agree with all of you. I think the trend of racism will slowly continue to get better. Although the older generations are the ones i consider to be the most racist of our population, some of that racism will continue to be passed down to their children. So although i do believe racism will become less and less common, i still believe that it will still be very much present in our lives.

Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:45 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I do agree that racism seems to be less evident, but I do agree that it is still around and simply changing forms. I think with each generation it will become less and less prevalent. There will always be certain people though that have no tolerance for anybody who is different than themselves, which is sad.

Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:15 pm
All-star
All-star

I think I agree with everyone too. As our generation starts to take on more power roles I think that racism will not be as big of a deal as it has been and as it is now. I do think that the older generations that are in power now are racist due to the time period when they grew up. I think that our generation seems to be more opened minded and things will be a lot different in years to come.

Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:19 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Obviously, over the years the prevalence of racism has lessened, however I do believe it is still around. I feel that more than anything people are becoming more and more open minded, but unfortunately, I believe that racial stereotypes are here to stay. A lot of it is based on prior generations, but some of it will always be based on stereotypes.

Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:15 pm
All-star
All-star

Yes, the older generation is probably the more racial one, but like so many other people have said, it will lessen as our generation and ones to follow grow up. I do not think that racism is anything that can ever be "erased" from society, but hopefully we'll become more open-minded as things start to change more.

It's sad to think that the first conclusion some people come to is that Obama or Hilary will be shot. This just makes me really sad....I'm not going to get into my politics, or who I think would be the better president, but to think that they would be shot simply because of their race or sex is something I will never understand.

Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:39 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This is similar as many of us brought up an Anthropology discussion that I am sure many of us have had. According to my last Anthropology teacher when I am looking for a job next year the chances are good that I will be hired because I am a white male. I am not sure how I feel about this. They have done plenty of research on race issues as their career but I still feel at odds. The institution of racism still has some life in it but like everyone has been saying we can be that shift of change. I suppose we all will find out much more on race relations as we are applying for jobs and teaching in our classrooms no matter where they may locate us. As for the presidency I am no more or less concerned than with any other president. They have made movies about killing our current president yet nobody followed through. I am not saying that it is completely illogical but I do not think that it is all the uproar it should be. Maybe all the craziness is due to not having a presidential assassination in awhile.

Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:46 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Maybe racism is slowly vanishing, but the effects of racism are felt and seen everywhere. When thinking about this topic I began to look around (in our class, at our school, in my own life) and I began to see how segregated some of our lives are. I know I can't speak for everyone, so I will just speak for myself and say that I rarely associate with anyone outside of my own social class and race. On campus, the only racial diversity that I see are athletes. I know this is a generalization, but it is true. Recently I was talking to a friend who goes to Western and found out that they have surpassed our campus as far as racial diversity goes. He said they now have close to a 30 % African American population on campus. Just some thoughts

Andy Ellis

Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:34 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think racism will become less of a problem as our generation has a more active role in society but it will still be an issue for those children who have carried on the views of their parents and have not, like so many of us, broken that cycle.

I was one of those kids who didn't know that black kids were different when I was really young. It wasn't until I remember playing in my Grandmother's yard near Fayetteville and she made us come in side because there was a black man walking by. I had no idea what was going on until that point.

Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:37 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree that racism is still evident today but maybe not in the same form it was 50 years ago. My roommate is in a race and minority class now and it's interesting to see what she is learning in there. Racism is absolutely still around and people just don't see it. Her professor said that just about everyone acts in some sort of racist way without even thinking about it. I believe it too, sometimes its hard not to. I think the more education children get about the negative effects of being racist they will slowly begin to end it for good...at least that's what we hope.

Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:46 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with all of the comments made so far. I think maybe it is more the acts of racism that are disappearing and not so much the racist thoughts. I think it is harder to control racist thinking than it is to control racist actions. Perhaps just as the acts have lessened over time the thoughts and ideas will do so also.

Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:46 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I definitely agree that racism is getting better. However, it is still around and in some ways changing. I think the older generations are the most racist and that is sometimes passed down to even people in our generation. If they still have those racist beliefs and pass it down to their children, then it will never fade completely. At least it is getting better, but I think it will always exist in some people.

Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:33 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The two front-runners of the election are a black man and a white woman. Both which have never ran our country before. Regardless the outcome, there will be mass change in our nation's perspective. Racism and Sexism both are a problem in our society, still. I think this scenario is exactly what we needed to open our eyes to the reality of the importance of equality. Who ever came up with this idea that one is better than the other, anyway? And who is qualified to judge?

Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]