View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Muslim Child in the Public School after 9/11 
Site Admin

Hi,

I promised I would post this link. You can listen to the whole thing for free on the internet, or download it for $0.95 and take it with you.

I have listened to it more than once, and each time find myself deeply moved by the plight of this wonderful little girl who is attacked by her teacher, and abandoned by her school and friends.

Listen, and make sure it never happens again.

Quote:
Act One. Which One of These Is Not Like the Others?

Serry and her husband's love story began in a place not usually associated with romance: the West Bank. That was where the couple met, fell in love and decided to get married. Then Serry, who was American, convinced her Palestinian husband to move to America. She promised him that in America their children would never encounter prejudice or strife of any kind. But things didn't quite work out that way. This American Life contributor Alix Spiegel tells the story. (33 minutes)

http://www.thislife.org/Radio_Episode.aspx?episode=322

Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:37 am
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I can't imagine what it must have felt like being in this situation a muslim girl in a school being looked down upon. I guess a good comparison would be one Ku Klux Klan member surrounded by a group of 300 black men. The hatred that develops in the hearts of people and the stereotype that a few people can make for a whole race is quite scary to me. I even caught myself making stereotypes last summer where I worked at a baptist summer camp. New kids would arrive every week and in order to swim in the pool they would have to pass a swimming test. I started to notice a trend or maybe just a stereotype that I developed. I often found myself jumping in to save black kids of assist them to the side because they didn't know how to swim. I developed a stereotype that black people couldn't swim and I would find myself being more cautious when the black kids were donig there swimming test as opposed to white kids. I just thought i would share this example and prove how easy we can develope stereotypes.

Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:42 pm
All-star
All-star

I have listened to this a few times now, and each time I am more and more upset about the situation. I actually passed this on to someone I know who had that whole, "all muslims are terriorists" mindset. I watched as this person sat at their computer and listened to the horrible story told by mother and child. I think it's important to pass this information along, because I am glad I was able to show this person the truth, and hopefully helped them become a little more understanding and accepting. What upset me almost just as much as the verbal and emotional abuse, was the teacher's actions. It sickens me to think that there are educators out there that would actually behave in such a manner.

Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:43 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think Laura's actions should be repeated by others because I feel that as educators we will have to try to do this day in and day out. Even though it is painful to watch we can't stand by and do nothing, instead we should try to make people aware of situations that may affect others.

Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:12 pm
All-star
All-star

I believe to everyone should have the right love whom they wish. I also believe love is alot more than just an emotion, I believe that it is a decision and a commitment. There are many obsticles to face in a mixed relationship. I do not mean this in a rascist sense, but in the merging of cultures. Children should not have to be exposed to ridicule because of their culture. Aqs teachers, our students safty is one of our primary concerns, if not the the main concern. Learning is best achieved in a safe enviroment. You can suck at lesson plans, delivery, or even the bookeeping, and still foster an enviroment of learning. Statistically, children of mixed cultures are better rounded, conceptualize better, and adapt more quickly the cildren of a single culture. In other words, children of multiple cultures can become some of the best students. But only if we, as teachers, can allow them to bloom. We have to put aside our own dislikes and quirks, to be there for our children. This is not easy, nor will yu be able to do it all the time, for every instance, but we are obligated to try.

Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:25 pm
All-star
All-star

I attended high school with twins who were KKK, and to be honest, I don't think they knew what they believed. They used to wear thier Cross belt buckles to school all the time, but didn't know the history of the Klan, or it's symbols. I felt sorry for them, they weren't bad guys, just repeating what thier family believed. To be honest, there is alot about the Klan that just wants to be seperated from othwer ethnicities. not all Klan members are extreemists or violent. But the few that are, are very loud and very volitile. We get angry because someone wants to be in the Klan, but do we get mad is Koreans want to be around other Koreans.? Do we get upset if an Asian moves into ChinaTown? We look at the Quakers and Amish and admire them for their skills and independance, but are they not also seperatists? Admittedly, it is easy to stereotype on some levels, but sometimes people just feel safer around people they understand and know. That is why diversity is so important to the students we will teach. That is the way to improve racial problems, by learning to be comfortable with other cultures.

Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]