View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Is it offensive? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

As we talked about respecting people's views and wishes as well as talking about people who are transgenders, I wondered if it was offensive to them, and other people who are gay, for people to go to events such as drag queen shows and bars that are labeled "gay bars" simply to observe. I don't think that it is offensive, as long as the people there respect everyone but I was wondering if anyone else thought about this?

Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:27 pm
All-star
All-star

I have known people in all these area, as if you are attempting to understand the culture and not partake in a judgemental fashion, they are receptive to you participation. The best way to handle those type of situations is too hav a freind coach you on the proper ettiquate. I have attended drag queen bars, gay bars (there is a difference) and as long as you set parmeters (like every other association or relationship) there is usually not a problem. When I have attended gay bars, my best friend just tells the lookers that I am there with him. I get lots of free drinks. My lesbians friens and I can joke and look at girls together, but most of the time, the sexaulity issue just does not come up. We are friends, and go on fro there.

Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:33 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

While I don't have the experience that Tripp has it make sense to me that as long as you go with the flow of the situation and not make any crude or derogatory remarks things should be fine. Gay, lesbian, transsexual, and other people live in our world every day without offending us as straight people, why can't we exist in their culture without offending them? And that's got to be the biggest part, is having friends that can let us know what are the normal procedures so we don't offend anybody, and treat it on an individual basis. I mean I don't particularly like being called "carrot top" but somebody else makes their living off of the name. So getting to know an individual and how they identify themselves is a good step in how to make sure that you don't offend them.

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:35 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Will on this topic. To add to this, we need to be aware of what the boundaries are and be aware of the different things that offend them. As individuals in our society we need to be aware of all people in our surroundings have an understanding that certain things offend people.

Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:26 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Personally I have a few close gay/lesbian friends and I have no problem adapting in situations where I am one of the few straight people. I have learned that the more comfortable I am around people, the more comfortable they are about being themselves-which is all I want! I consider myself to be very open minded and despise the thought of people criticizing others for their lifestyle choices.

Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:46 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I, like Jayme, have many friends in the GLBT community, and when I first began to hang out with them, I was surprised about how similar everything was. There was nothing awkward about it, we (meaning the gay men and I) just simply disagreed about who we found attractive, in the same way that people disagree about UNC vs. Duke or mustard vs. mayonnaise. I think as long as you respect the culture, and understand that the community is a little bit more sensitive towards the issues than perhaps the straight community is, I think you'll probably find you are a lot more similar than you are different.

Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:08 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

My best friend is a lesbian and her entire circle is, as well. I hang out with them on a daily basis and they'll jokingly hit on me or just talk a little trash, but I find it hilarious. It almost makes me feel good that not just guys would be attracted to me... maybe thats a weird thought process. Gay guys are get away with murder with their straight girlfriends. They can hug, kiss, be touchy to an extent and I wouldn't think a thing about it. I think I mainly like my gay friends because I feel the most comfortable around them. They are the least judgmental and since I feel I am, too, it makes for great times!

Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:55 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

For an avid attender of drag shows all around the state (one of my best friends is an up and comer), I just find that if you don't have an "us vs. them" mentality then everything is great. Honestly, I do not define my friends like that, just like I do not define them on skin color. My parents always seem to label people like this so when I bring a friend around and they were expecting one thing, but get another, it is alsways, "well why didn't you tell us." I just do not define people like that.

Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]