View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Born both male and female 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

My friends and I recently had a discussion about babies who are born with both male and female parts. Doctors and parents then opt to choose at the time of birth weather that child will be male or female and then remove one of the parts. Later in life that person may not identify with their current sex. Our discussion was about whether that decision should be made at birth or later in life when the child can make the decision for themselves. We all had mixed feelings and I wanted to see what you all thought.

Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:32 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Honestly, I have heard very little about this topic. That's such a hard thing to think about because you have to consider so many different opinions. First of all, it would be nice for the child to be able to decide for themselves who they want to be. Do you think that maybe parents could watch their children as they develop as young children and see how they identify themselves first? And then maybe proceed with surgery if they feel they can adequately determine which "sex" they think their child should be. I would just be worried about the adolescent years because people go through so many changes and explorations that it might cause bullying, teasing, depression, anxiety, etc. Honestly, I really don't know how I would feel about this situation.. it's very tough!

Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:20 pm
All-star
All-star

This would be a very tough decision for any parent. I feel like it is important for the child to decide because it is their body, but I could understand parents wanting to decide for them when they are baby so that they would grow up without others knowing the situation. I think it is more important that the child does have a say incase the child doesn't agree with the sex that the parents decided on.

Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:39 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This sounds like one of the hardest decisions that a parent would ever have to make. That being said I think that it's something that the child should have an imput on, to make sure that they feel comfortable with who they are. In this I agree with Meaghan that it would be a good idea for the parents to wait and see how the child starts to naturally develop, and then try to make a decision in the pre-teen years when people really begin to have a strong personal gender identity. However it could come down to a decision of functionality, because with this condition it is possible that one set will work and the other will not, or at least not fully, and this could be a basis for a decision at a younger age. Either way this would a very hard decision for any parent.

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:25 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

It is almost like circumcision... people seem to be very opinionated by this - other than Americans. I don't know why but it's just a given here. On the one hand, if the decision was made as a baby, it could save the baby an identity complex; however, it could cause one later on if the child sways to the opposite of the decision. I think I would have to wait if it were my child and let them make their own decision because even though there may be hard times to deal with by letting them take the time to decide, it seems it would be almost unforgivable to myself if I made the decision and it turned out to be the wrong one!

Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]