View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Attendance Policy 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

So I know we touched on this topic in class today, but I wanted to see what everybody thought about having an attendance policy in classes. In one of my classes, we aren't allowed to miss any days and I think that is a bad idea because not only are we paying to take these classes, but we are also expected to make it to all of our classes on time every day which can be very difficult. Do you guys have any thoughts on this?

Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:11 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

So I have been really struggling with this idea, because I am upset about not having an attendance policy.....I think having one where you can't miss any days at all is just wrong, but I think your attendance should be necessary for the class. I am not trying to be harsh, but i have a friend who is teaching fellows and she does not come to this class and yes this class is required for her major I feel that it is not fair if her grade is not affected because she does not attend. I am paying out of state tuition and I feel that it is not wise of me to miss any of my classes, because I am paying just a little bit more than everyone else....I am sorry but this just really upsets me...I really am not trying to be hateful...why should others work their butts of and some people don't????

Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:19 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This is a tough issue. I feel like since we all pay to come to college, we should be able to chose if we want to go to class or not, but on the other hand, having an attendance policy kind of makes us or forces us to go to class so we can get all the information. In elementary-high school there should be a strict attendance policy as they are not paying for their schooling, at least public schools.

Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:03 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

So I know that in college we are paying for our education and that means we should be able to choose whether or not we go to class but if you are paying for the class, then why wouldn't you get your money worth....I mean its like buying tickets to a once-in-a-lifetime concert and then saying I don't want to go......

Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:39 am
All-star
All-star

I am also upset about this issue. I know that we are all adults and it should be our choice to come to class or not, but with a class like this where in-class discussion and listening to others is so important, I feel like attendance should be a part of your grade. I have noticed several people that hardly ever show up to class and that really makes me mad. With this class being required, I feel like it is very important to be here. I don't think that we should have a strict policy that requires you to never miss a class, but I do think something should be done so that people will not miss half the semester.

Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:52 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I personally believe that people are going to either attend class or not attend class, regardless of whether or not there is an attendance policy. There may be a few people who would be more motivated to go to class if there was an attendance policy, but I believe in promoting self-motivation. I think that by making people more responsible for their own well-being and success, that self-motivation should hopefully come along as part of that. From personal experience, this type of responsibility helped me to want to be motivated to do well for myself.

I think an attendance policy is unnecessary and just one more thing to be added to the syllabus.

Meaghan Dunham
Music Ed.

Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:24 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

As I mentioned in class, I have spent the last three semesters in classes that were just plain ridiculous when it came to attendance. The fact that I had to come to class, even when I was deathly ill really made me bitter towards not only the attendance policy but also the professors. I am sorry if I have "offended" anyone by not coming to every single class, but sometimes I need to do what is best for me and I am happy to be able to make my own decisions about what is right and wrong for me. Even though I have not come to every class, I do feel that I always knew what was going on, and participated accordingly... So all in all, I think that attendance policies are dumb but might suggest an optional one on one session between professor and student to go over what was missed.

Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:58 pm
All-star
All-star

I think that the one-on-one policy is great, if thr professor has time. I'm glad we didn't have an attendance policy because I knew that if I was sick, I wasn't afraid to stay at home. Yes, in some classes there should be. But I think in this class, since we held such great discussions, plus this forum, it was ok to not have a policy.

Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:41 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I feel that attendance policies are necessary in some classes, but not all. I know some people have mentioned that they have classes where they are not allowed to miss any. I am in a class like that right now and I just think it is ridiculous to be graded down for feeling sick for one day.

Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:27 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I always had a black and white point of view on attendance policy. If I'm paying, I have the choice to make on my own. I may or may not master the material. I may piss the people off who constantly go to class. Regardless, I am my own person, and I try not to worry what everyone else is doing; only what I am doing. However, if I am being paid for attendance, my ass is there. :lol:

Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:00 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have always felt like someone was telling me that I was not responsible or a child if there was an attendance policy. I can see someone saying that if a class is required for a degree, it should be required that you actually go to class. However, that’s doesn’t seem to be the point to me. The point is to master the subject. If a student can master the material by just going to class half the time then that’s ok to me. Sure, at most jobs people are going to have to actually be there. But don’t they know that already? It’s their choice to make it a habit now or do it later or not at all.

Thu May 01, 2008 10:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]