View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Students with special needs 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

My roommate is an elementary education major and is currently student teaching. She has several students with disabilities in her classroom. She is having a hard time adapting her lessons and assignment to meet their needs. She feels that as general education major she is not prepared to teach students with special needs. I was wondering what your feelings were on this and if you feel prepared?

Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:33 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I definitely don't feel prepared to work with students with special needs. I think that there needs to be more emphasis placed on providing adequate information on inclusion and how to accomodate to all students. I think teachers do touch on the issue, but not enough. We have to be prepared for all types of students who come through our door, but as of now, I don't think many of us are. I know I'm not.

Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:59 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I actually took a course specifically for music in Special Education last semester... it was quite possibly one of the most useful courses I have taken at ASU. I am more familiar with persons with disabilities because I have taken a few courses about special education and have tried to learn as much as I can about the different types of disabilities and the effects they can have on the students I might eventually work with. Honestly, I feel very well prepared after taking this class, especially because we had to do a culminating project where we created lesson plans and adapted them for students with varying disabilities. I can honestly say that I am as prepared as I could hope to be to work with students with disabilities and be able to provide them with everything they need.

Meaghan Dunham
Music Ed.

Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:56 pm
All-star
All-star

That is one of the reasons why I chose to be a child development major. I have been able to take a lot of classes that focus on inclusion and children with special needs. It's been a great help. Maybe your roomate could talk to a child dev. major for her questions too to get some extra feedback?

Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:44 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I'm definitely not prepared to adjust things for different disabilities in my classroom because I am not experienced enough. However, I realize that it has to be done in almost every classroom because kids have different needs and learn at different rates. I think it is very important to adjust things for students because everyone needs to learn and I want to make sure I am doing everything possible to help my students learn.

Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:48 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't know anything about students with special needs and feel completely out of the loop. That's one thing that I will definitely be reading up on this summer and will ask a lot of questions about when I student teach.

When I was in elementary and middle school there was girl that could not see. She was in the marching band. She was led out onto the field to play and led back off. When there were parades, someone walked along side of her. I thought that was awesome. And she loved it.

Thu May 01, 2008 11:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]