View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 A Home on the Field - discussing with students 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I know we haven't talked about it in class yet, but I wanted to start a discussion about the book we're supposed to read, "A Home on the Field" by Paul Cuadros. I read this book this summer for the first time with my Upward Bound students and really enjoyed it. How does everyone else feel about the topics discussed in this book? How do you think you would approach teaching this book in a classroom setting? What themes do you think are centrally important to the "moral" of this book? Just some thought! :)

Meaghan Dunham
Music Ed.

Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:55 pm
All-star
All-star

what I have to say isnt what your asking I just wanted to say that I cant believe that the former grand dragon of the KKK wanted the black people of siler city to stand with them agaisnt the mexicans that were imigrating.

Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:13 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I know right? It just seems crazy that the KKK would put the word out to black people to stand with them. This indicates two things to me: first, that the KKK finally accepts that black people are a member of this society and aren't going anywhere, and two, the KKK must REALLY be hurting for some members. It reminds me of this country club in my hometown that barred Jews for the longest time, until it was on the verge of bankruptcy and decided to let them become members and (gasp!) find out that their money worked the same as everyone else's. I also find it interesting that routinely, one of the main points against allowing Mexican immigration is that they take all of our jobs. However, this seems ridiculous as they work some of the absolute worst jobs available (or should I say allowed?) and I would be willing to bet that none of these ignorant hate-mongers would work in their place.

Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:29 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with everyone else. I think it's pathetic that the KKK man wanted black people to stand with him against Hispanics moving in. If he's a member of the KKK, he obviously is against other races, including blacks. It just seems like he wants support from anyone he can get it from. I think he will likely go back to being against blacks once he gets over the immigration issue, so I think everyone should just ignore him even if they are against immigration because I don't think his reason is just.

Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:56 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The way this sounds is that the KKK is slowly dying out and are looking for anyone and everyone to join forces with them. I agree with stephan about how he said that the KKK must really be hurting for members if they are now trying to get African-Americans in their group.

Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:28 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

While I agree with all that the KKK itself may be dying out somewhat, the sad thing is that the hate remains. I have unfortunately seen 3 rallies in my life (at a distance and stumbling into it...not because I wanted to be there) and it is very awful to see that much hate coming from so few people. And while a lot of people may not be there, imagine what people are thinking/feeling who are not there but have that hate.

And it does not seem to stop. The movement from African-Americans and Jewish people to Hispanics and homosexuals astounds me. It just seems that people will try and find anything to hate...

Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:03 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Did anyone read the part about Duke after he spoke at the rally? He ate fried chicken at a local restaurant... now isn't that ironic that the very thing he was protesting against just a few hours earlier was the thing he supported as he ate his meal? It was interesting to read all the things that he talked about in his "motivational" speech only to see him do the exact opposite when no one was looking. That was the thing that bothered me the most about this rally was that it was being lead by a man who was a complete hypocrite!!

Meaghan Dunham
Music Ed.

Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:11 pm
All-star
All-star

haha ya Meaghan I read that part and I was like WOW...what a freaking HYPROCRITE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]