View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Question for everyone 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I know that we all come from different content areas and we meet together and talk about a lot of different issues in this class, however, i was wondering if any of you guys discuss any of these topics in any of you other major classes? Do you think these topics should be touched on a little bit before we enter this class? I know that in P.E. we have only discussed a couple of the issues so it was great to come in and here some opinions from fellow future teachers.

Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:52 pm
All-star
All-star

I have never, ever had a class like this and I think it was great to come together and share with everyone. I think more classes should be this way....in fact, in some of my classes, if your opinions do not match the professors, then you are looked down upon almost.

Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:02 am
All-star
All-star

I agree with Laura!!! We should def. have more classes like this because I feel like we need more time to share our ideas with others in an environment where we wont be critized for have a totally different opinion! Its also a place where we can learn new ways of thinking. I really have enjoyed this class this semester! I have really gotten to see the different places that people come from and how it shapes their thinking and ways of doing things!

Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:46 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I totally agree. This class was really interesting and while we have talked about some of these issues in my other classes, we didn't really go in depth. I think it is very important for us to be aware of the issues we may have to deal with when we are in our own classroom

Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:14 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

My CI3850 class, we would begin the class by chatting a bit on ideas and things, just earlier this semester. I remember one class they asked us what kind of person we thought we were - some adjectives. I said "preppy" and "hippie." The professor literally laughed at me and looked at the class and asked them, "how can it be that you're both? That seems impossible." It really made me feel silly. After everyone laughed at me, I explained that, on the outside, I like superficial clothing and tangible things, but inside my head, I believed in loving your neighbor, loving nature, hug a tree, peace, no war, etc. He looked at me as if his head had done a 360. I was so pissed that he put me down and embarrassed me, but after changing his perspective on what these terms may mean to someone else, he could leave the subject alone and I think I may have embarrassed him a bit, too. It is just that sort of naiveness that irritates me about stereotypes. I ended up dropping the class a few weeks later because he seemed to have some sort of arrogant attitude towards me. Interesting, I thought.

Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:17 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

No, this is definetly the first class I've had that discussed issues like this. I've taken a couple of survey courses that were required for Teaching Fellows, but those were long on statistics and data, and short on good info. As far as the English department is concerned, everyone is pretty focused on the literature and not on current teaching issues, even in classes were the majority of students are education majors. I'm glad to have had a class where we could discuss these issues, which we are sure to run into as we head out into the schools.

Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:20 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with a lot of ya'll. I've never had a class like this and I think that things can get overstated sometimes when you have the same people in your classes all day everyday. It's always beneficial to get opinions from your peers but I think this class has mostly helped me because we had to talk about things most people feel uncomfortable talking about.

Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:34 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I've never had classes that have discussed these topics before and I think it would be great to discuss them more in other classes. If these topics affect who you are and therefore how you teach (which I believe they do) then they should be discussed in every class that pertains to teaching. Also, I would feel a lot more prepared if I'd been thinking about these things more all along.

Thu May 01, 2008 9:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]