View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Insecurities 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am doing my practicum in a 3rd grade class at Forest Hill Elementary School in Morganton. My host teacher has told me a lot about the students' families and there are 3 children in a class of 14 with parents that are still together. When she told me that I was very shocked. I know that divorce is much more common now than when I was in elementary school but I guess I never thought about the students I will be teaching in that context. Any thoughts?

Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:30 pm
All-star
All-star

I think it's really good that you know that information. Just be careful around "special" days like mother's day, or father's day.........

We had one little boy in my preschool practicum who had lost his father. I didn't know that. One day, around Valentine's day all the kids wanted to mail out letters to their parents to wish them a happy valentine's day when the one little boy asked me if he could make his on a red balloon that he could send to heaven for his daddy. My heart broke. Information like that would have been great to know before hand. I'm not sure if this helps, but I hope it does.

Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:00 am
All-star
All-star

I think its always a good thing to know...even if you are shocked at the numbers. THen you will know where your students are coming from when they act out or are just really down around a certain time. And if you have been through something similiar you have that in common and you can help them learn appropriate ways to cope with their feelings. You can also present a place where they can share their feelings in an envrionment that wont be judgmental!

Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:49 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with all of you. It is very important to know students backgrounds, especially home life. That can tell us so much about a student’s behaviors and academics. I think it is very important to find out what is going on with a student, especially when bad behavior is an issue. Our students could be going through so much at home and acting out in school. If we talk to the student and possibly get to the root of the problems I feel we as teachers can really help.

Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:59 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have an experience with this....both of my parents are teachers....my dad teaches at a middle school which is right next to the elementary school that I attended so if I ever got in trouble all they had to do was call next door....well one day I got sick and my dad had to be called to come over and get me and I was like in the first or second grade and the teacher came out crying because she said that I was the only student in her class that the parents were still together...all of my other fellow students parents were divorced. The teacher said she could tell that I was raised up in a loving home, because I always had someone I could call when I got sick and such. Now I am not saying that my fellow students were horrible, but I think it is always good to know your students background...not word for word, but the basics.

Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:38 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I do find that disturbing, but realistic. It is a shame that these days people can't try to make it work anymore and it really does affect the kids. Although, for me, my parents did stay together until I was a senior in high school and I think it did more damage to me for them to stay together. For example, being around an argumentative, violent home caused me to have no respect for my teachers and think that rules did not apply to me. I had a great difficulty understanding my place and why it should be that I be the obedient one. I also think that I had a bit of insecurity from the turmoil and it some how jaded me into feeling like I always had to take care of me at all costs and necessarily didn't believe what anyone told me. It makes me sad how hard it was on me growing up, but at the same time... I guess I wouldn't be who I am.

Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]