View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 should there be stricter regulations for homeschooling? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

As I have mentioned in class, my niece has been bounced around from public private and homeschooling 4 times now and she is only 7! One of my main problems with her being home schooled is that my sister-in-law could hardly be less qualified. Currently, in order to home school parents must have their high school diploma or it's equivalent. I think that is absolutely ridiculous. If I had it my way, I would require parents to have a degree in education to home school. I know that is probably impossible but shouldn't they at least have a college degree? What does everyone think?

Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:24 pm
All-star
All-star

I dont really know the specific qualifications and what not for homeschooling but from what you have descibed I think they do need to be ALOT stricter!!!! Its sad to see a child have to go throught that!

Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:14 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree that the regulations need to be more strict, but I don't know about requiring the parents to have a college degree in education. I work with a group of about 15 home schooled youth in Banner Elk. Every family has different rules for their kids, but they all take similar exams at the end of the course to be sure they have learned what they needed to. I've seen some kids go months without doing school work because the parents leave it up to their children, but there are also families that are with their kids every weekday until 2 or 3 making sure they are working on each subject. I would suggest having quarterly exams on each subject instead of one big one at the end of the year. Otherwise some children could get away with never doing school work and that leaves them with no sense of responsibility.

Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:58 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that homeschooling should be strict, because you are being schooled at home you feel more relaxed and sometimes you may just want to not do anything. So they should have to learn the exact same amount of information as children their age who go to public schools. Of course, whenever I have kids I want them to go to public schools so they can also learn how to socialize and be among other kids their age.

Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:37 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The fact that all one has to have is a high school diploma or equivalent really scares me. I do not want to be so pompous to say that I will be a better teacher than someone else because of my degree, but supplemental knowledge that you gain in college is irreplaceable. It just scares me...

Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:59 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

My husband was home-schooled from fourth grade until high school by his father. My husband was ahead of everyone at high school when he came in. He didn't have to do anything at all during high school and graduated in the top of his class.

All his father had was a high school diploma. He went to college as an education major and the semester he was to graduate the requirements changed. There was nothing in place for him to be able to graduate on the plan that he came in on. He would have had to spend a lot more time and money doing the same thing over again just because of a few little things, so he didn’t. He’s a great teacher, but if you just look at what he has on paper then it’s not that impressive.

Thu May 01, 2008 10:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]