View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Black Man, White Woman 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In the upcoming election, I've been thinking about how it would affect the country if either of these candidates become elected into presidency. How do you think our southern culture would react to Obama? Or how would our old generations think about a woman running our country? How would our old government officials react to either? This definitely is an election for the books.

Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:27 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was just letting this marinate in my head for awhile but I am trying to think about what you said. Do you mean that Southern culture can not handle a black president because of racial issues? I am simply asking what was the connatation behind the statement. I understand if that is what you mean. Obama's beliefs are pretty typical of Democrat so I am not sure that would really get any other reaction than normal. Although, I worry about the guy's safety too, presidents always have a greater security risk. As for the old people I am sure some are happy to finally have a woman in this position. As for others who worked against such a thing, they are obviously going to fall on the other side of the spectrum. I was watching the news the other day and they actually said in some states Hillary does far better with the senior citizens.

Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:58 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Through my internship I hear a lot of kids say that if either Hillary or Obama were elected that they would soon be shot. This is disturbing to me. I don't think it is true, but that mindset is obviously present. Even if these kids don't believe it someone they know does to have heard the idea first off. I think it is about time the course of American politics are changed. "I am sick and tired of being sick and tired!"

Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:58 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't think that either Clinton or Obama getting elected will cause that big of a stir amongst perceived racists or misogynists because they have both done a great PR job of downplaying those aspects at the right times, and using it to their advantage at the right times as well. Let's face facts: Obama is not a typical American black person. He was raised by a white woman, and his parents were mixed. Also, his father is actually from Africa, and he was born in Hawaii--still a United State, but atypical in many ways from the continent. He went to Harvard. He edited the Harvard Law Review before getting elected to the Senate. I just don't think he is that black.
Hillary, in the same way, is rarely if ever seen photographed in a dress, and prefers her masculine pantsuits in order to give a more man-like appearance. She toes a fine line between "ice queen" and "power player" because she suppresses her emotion in order to not seem as womanly, which in turn would be perceived as weak.
So, overall, I don't think this election will be a huge change. Politics will change when more people become involved, and it becomes accessible to those citizens who don't have the financial means to spend millions on a campaign. Until that time, it'll be meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:34 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am not sure that I agree with all you are saying Stephen. I do agree that Obama has not and does not represent the typical "African American male" experience and that Hillary down plays her femininity as much as possible but I don't agree with your point about things not changing. I do believe that with either Clinton or Obama being elected, there will be a message sent out. Things may not change on the surface, but to be a young girl seeing Hillary being elected or a young black male seeing Obama being elected that might be the motivation and hope that they need to overcome their circumstances and actually bring forth the change we all long for. Maybe this is true, maybe it's not. Just some thoughts.

andy ellis

Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]