View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Campus This Semester 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Hey guys. I am a senior so I have been on campus and at ASU for a while now and have noticed some change, seen things come and go. So, I think I have some authority when talking about the state of things here on campus.

So, to get to the point. I think things on campus have been weird this semester. First there was the fake gunman, then there was the noose, and the other day there was the abortion/genocide thing. What is going on? Do you guys feel safe still? I just feel like things are beginning to change.

andy ellis

Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:06 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Well I have only been on campus for four semesters, so I dont have a lot to say. But I have always felt semi-safe, I mean when I started school I bought a thing of pepper mace to put on my keychain and always lock my door at night, because I live in a dorm. I am a music major so I practice really late at night and when I walk back to my dorm I am always alert and aware of my surroundings....so to come to a close I feel just as safe as I would anywhere else. It is always going to be a worry about having a gunman on campus or some major nightmare, but we just have to pray that it doesn't happen and try to continue on with our life.

Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:34 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

After six semesters, I feel a difference, but I honestly think that it is partially just me growing up and being more aware. The "I am invincible" complex has worn off and I feel more aware and cautious about being out late and by myself, but I think that is more me.

Even with all the crazy stuff that is going on lately (for Boone at least), I think that I have adapted and have realized that some of this is just a part of growing up.

Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:01 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

It does seem like this semester has been a lot more action-packed, but I don't really have a good answer as to why. The gunman hoax, the abortion genocide thing, the noose, USAS--the list kind of goes on for wild stuff. However, I don't know if that's because I just wasn't aware of those things around campus before, or if its really something new.
Boone and ASU are both changing, whether we want to believe it or not. ASU is trying to change its image in the UNC system from a school of liberal, "hippie" type students, to one that is a major player in the fields of business and the sciences. Boone, meanwhile is trying to handle the outgrowth of the University, promote businesses and retain its "small town" image, which sad to say, is slowly becoming a thing of the past.

Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:27 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Stephen made a good point. I think not only have things been action packed on campus but the construction is a sign of the growth on campus and within Boone. Anytime something grows there are going to be big changes and most likely more diverse personalities coming in.

Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]