View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 New Teaching Incentives 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I read in TIME magazine a couple months ago all about new incentives for teachers to stay in the public school system for longer. Here are some of the ideas:

-signing bonuses for hard-to-fill jobs like teaching high school chemistry

-housing allowances ($15,000 in New York City)

-combat pay for teachers who commit to working in the most distressed schools

-merit pay, which attempts to measure the quality of teachers' work and pay teachers accordingly.

What do you think? What incentives would you like to see for teachers?

Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:04 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think all of those incentives will be helpful for beginning teachers. I've heard that some schools will help with your grad school loans or help pay for your classes while you're working, but I never know how to check that out. I think the payment help would be a great incentive.

Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:48 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think its about time that teachers started getting recognized for the work that they do. I also really like the idea of a housing allowance, especially somewhere like NYC because the cost of living up there is ridiculous.
Merit pay could be a really viable option and make each teacher strive to do his/her best, and not just "show up." Also, giving teachers a little bit more to work in Title 1 schools sounds like a good idea, but I'd also like to see those schools themselves get more money to provide more programs.

Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:22 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was reading over the list and a couple of things caught my attention. First was the use of the term "combat pay." When I first read it I thought of teaching in a war zone, like on military bases or something but then I read on and was surprised/amused. I think using the term combat is not too far off from describing the situation in a lot of these schools. The other thing I wanted to comment on was the idea of merit pay. I think it is a great idea but I'm not sure if it will ever happen unless it is federally enforced program because I know of too many entrenched and tenured teachers who are just coasting to retirement who would fight this tooth and nail. Maybe if high stakes testing was done away with it could be easier to implement.

andy ellis

Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:55 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

All of these incentives would definitely be great for our profession. Like I said on another thread, teachers are greatly underpaid as it is. Incentives would definitley help us out a lot. One of my friends who graduated last year recently recieved a job and the school system is going to help pay off his student loans. He took the job primarily because they said they would do this and I would do the same.

Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:15 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that it is great that people are starting to offer these incentives so teachers can get some financial help. But, it some ways it just seems so wrong that they are just now recognizing the need for teachers when the suffering has been going on much longer. I have to agree with Stephen that I would like to see this money going towards schools more. I think that most teachers feel dislike towards their pay because they may not be finding their career to be as rewarding as it might have once been. All this stress on testing and NCLB and everything else is making it less about education and more about regurgitation for a test. I think some major changes need to be made, including higher pay. But let's not think that this will solve our issues as teachers...

Thu May 01, 2008 10:37 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think it's great that teachers are getting incentives for the work they're doing. I'm not going to choose a job just based on the pay or else I wouldn't have chosen education, but I think money is definitely an issue with education that needs to be resolved.

Thu May 01, 2008 11:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]