View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 dropping out of school 
All-star
All-star

While in our groups today the subject of dropping out of school came up and I was just wondering where everyone stood on this issue. Coming from a small farming community I have seen many of my peers drop out of school. In some cases they had siblings who were considered worthy of continuing their education and the other needed to work to keep the family afloat. I also have friends who chose to drop out and are now doing very well. In some cases dropping out of school is necessary. What do you think?

Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:25 pm
All-star
All-star

I can definitely understand specific cases where students need to postpone or quit their schooling for family reasons or health reasons but I would always do everything I could to sway them to stay in school. I think a vast majority of the students who drop out really don't know what how limited there future is becoming. I suspect that having a H.S. diploma in the near future will be critical for any local kid hoping to find a job that pays anything decent. This is a huge issue for teachers in the immediate future.

Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:13 pm
All-star
All-star

My sister dropped out of high school March of her senior year because she was bored. She is by far the smartest of the children in my family and has since gotten her GED and is on her way to a PHD in Psychology, but I always think of trying to engage not only the low achieving students but also the students who are "advanced" in the subject area... I agree that, even now, not having a high school diploma is a great hindrance in most areas of the workforce, although there are still some areas where it is not needed...

Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:19 pm
All-star
All-star

That is really sad to me that a student would drop out because they are not being challenged enough, but I am glad your sister is persuing a Phd Tracy...that is awesome! This is when we as teachers should make sure all of our students are being adequately challenged. Not all students learn at the same pace, therefore we should continually monitor them. We might have to go out of our way to find extra materials for those students who need to be more challenged, but we should not look at this as a burden, but look at it is as keeping the student interested in their learning. This will hopefully keep them from loosing interest in school and make them a life-long learner.

Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:26 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I personally believe that not everyone was meant to go to college or even high school. I think its sad that they will most likely drop out but in the long run it may be better for them and what they want to achieve in their own lives. I have seen many of my peers whose parents forced them into a college education and it's just not appropriate for them. They can't really find a major that they're interested in and so they tend to take general classes and eventually drop out. On the other hand some people were meant to have a college education, it just depends on the individual. I believe that people with or without college educations/high school educations can have a fulfilling life regardless.

Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:22 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have always viewed dropping out of school something everyone looks down upon. Many people that dropped out of my high were either pregnant of they just did not care for being there. Also because they got in so much trouble while they were there that if they didnt drop out they were going to be kicked out. But I totally unerstand the one situation of where our classmates sister was getting bored, so she dropped out and got her GED and is now working toward her PhD. If schools cannot offer the atmosphere for students who need to move at different paces then i find it quiet adequate for her to go for another option. But if someone is simply dropping out when they only have like less than 3 years left, then it is a bad idea.

Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:07 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I personally think it is the teachers responsibility to provide an atmosphere where the student will want to learn. If the material is too easy for someone and they get bored we need to provide more challenging work for them. If the work is too hard we need to adapt to that students need. If school is too hard for someone they will drop out. Either they will get really frustrated or start goofing off and causing trouble. I have never heard of a case of school being to easy for someone until Tracy talking about her sister. I understand that sometimes there may be circumstances such as health that may cause someone to need to drop out, but I think that at some point everyone should finish their high school education if they can. I also know that college isn't for everyone, but I think that in the future a college degree is going to be even more important than it is now.

Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:47 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

[color=olive]I agree 100% with Meagan that “it is the teacher’s responsibility to provide an atmosphere where the student will want to learn.â€

Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:57 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I know that there are certain reasons that students drop out of school that are beyond their control. But as previously stated, I think that dropping out should be the last resort and should try to be prevented.

As stated earlier in the discussion, it is very sad to hear that students are dropping out because they aren't challenged enough. It is our job as teachers to challenge our students, and due whatever possible to help them to learn, not to bore them and discourage them.

Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]