View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Secondary Ed. Incorporation into the RCOE 
All-star
All-star

I am a secondary education major and I feel like issues dealing with that age group are largely left out of classes within the College of Education. I was wondering if anyone could share their experiences with this or if anyone had any suggestions on how secondary education issues could better be incorporated in education classes?

Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:40 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Well often sections of classes are "aimed" at levels of education however they do not always tell the students this is how things are being done. I'm a Secondary Ed major as well, in the History department, and see what you're talking about. I myself ended up doing an internship with a 4th grade student.

Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:38 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I understand that large issues like revamping an entire system is difficult but I do have some serious issues with the system in place. I have a really big problem with the fact that many of the teachers that are supposed to be teaching me about how to be a high school teacher come from elementary school backgrounds (if that) and haven't been in the public school systems in years. I am certainly not degrading elementary ed majors at all. I admire the fact that they can teach little kids, I know there is no way I ever will be able to. However, I would LOVE to see teachers that have had at least a few years in a public high school that can help me.
I even have an example of how this is hurting students: I know its technically in the psy department but its education related-my educational psychology professor taught 3rd grade for i think 3 years before she went for her phD and the harshest issue she talked about was that i might have a kid try and get my attention by calling my name too much. When i raised my hand and asked how to handle a kid bringing a gun to school or how to help a student that is being molested by a parent, she looked at me like i had grown a second head and informed me that that was rare and i would most likely not confront such an issue.
My other main point of contention that many of the education classes teach much of the same material. This is of course not the case in all classes but is still frequent. I have talked to several education majors that have brought up the fact that several of the education classes assign a great deal of busy work and yet I know juniors in the program that don't know how to write lesson plans and construct a pacing guide. I think this is a huge oversight and the attention paid to certain "important" assignments needs to be reassessed.

Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:55 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I'm pretty sure that I'm the only French Education major on the entire campus, and have seen both sides of the spectrum. When I first came to App I was an Elementary Ed major, and then at the end of my first semester of my sophomore year and second semester of my sophomore year I made the transition to French Ed. It is SO different, and I feel like most of the time I'm not even an education major. I'm only required to take 4 education classes (not including my student teaching), don't have an advisor in the education department, and in all of the education classes I've taken in the past, the teachers aim the class towards Elementary Education majors, because that's what they're most familiar with. Granted I'll have a K-12 degree and will be able to teach at the elementary school level, but I would prefer to teach at the high school level, and will most easily be able to find a job teaching at the high school level. It is difficult to feel a part of the RCOE, but to look on the bright side-- I've got great opportunities to take more French classes rather than being tied down with education classes and not being able to graduate on time by not having enough room in my schedule to take all of the French classes that I need.

Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:48 pm
All-star
All-star

Many of the Education courses seem to cross over into others (i.e. CI 2800). I really enjoy this course because the discussions we have in class cover really critical topics that cannot be looked over or go unoticed by a teacher. I feel that talking about issues like we do in class creates important discussions and allows everyone to share their own views, thus allowing each of us to learn different ideas and views of the problem/issue. The teachers in the RCOE are great I think, all down to earth people who understand what it takes to make great teachers. In my Literacy, Technology course we had four major assignments (some of which crossed over to the others and many of my peers felt like it was redundant). However, I don't think we can ever have too much practice building a technology-based lesson plan and presenting to fellow prospective educators for example. I feel a lot more prepared to teach right now than I did say my Sophomore year so I feel the RCOE has prepared me to do this right.

Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:39 pm
All-star
All-star

I am a special education major and I have found that there seems to be an invisible line drawn between Special ed majors and general education majors. This bothers me because we will be working very closely with each other in the field, and everything here at APPS is separated. I was unaware of the secondary issues but they seem very similar to those of the special ed department. One thing that we must remember is that whether or not a professer is from your major or not, teaching spans across all ages. Most lessons can be modified for any age group, good teaching is good teaching.

Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:36 pm
All-star
All-star

My experience has been that, since I am a history major and do not have an advisor in the education department, I feel disconnected with the RCOE. To tell the truth, if I was not a Teaching Fellow and we didn't have meetings every semester, I would have absolutely no idea what was going on with the education part of my major.

Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:29 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I also feel that most of the ed classes that we take are aimed at elementary ed. They are in no relation to what I as a B-K major have learned about and in some cases they contradict what all of my major classes have taught is developmentally appropriate for young children. However, they are required classes and I just have to make it work. Two of my friends are Spanish Ed. majors, both of them have never meet with their advisers. I think that there should be some changes made in the ed. department to address these problems but.. i guess they are more preoccupied with other issues?

Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]