View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Transgender Revolution 
All-star
All-star

I was wondering what reactions everyone had to the film we watched in class today about transgendered people? Sometimes we think of "transgender" as just a term and tend to dehumanize it. Watching this film really allows the viewer to see this topic on a more personal level and explores the feelings of the individual dealing with this issue every day. Transgender is a topic that will very likely confront us as teachers. At any age level, it is almost certain that we will be dealing with students who identify themselves as such.

Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm
All-star
All-star

One thing that really stuck out in my mind from the video was the man (Terry), who married his high school sweetheart and was about to undergo surgery. It really got my attention when he said something about, How did me coming here affect you this morning? How does my surgery affect your life? I thought this was a very powerful message for people that aren't so open-minded about controversial issues in society. If people will worry with themselves, and not bother others these issues wouldn't be AS contorversial. Terry isn't doing anything to harm anyone or alter anyones lives, he is just trying to indentify himself in the society in which we live today.

Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:09 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with you Lauren about how we tend to dehumanize the term transgendered. I guess this term is so new that it seems like its a fad or a phase that will pass. I think that as the years go by and as more and more people start interacting and becoming familiar with the people behind the term people will start to understand and accept the term. I believe that the video helped me to get a glimpse into people's lives who are dealing with the issues of being a transgendered person. I found myself enthralled in the video and each new story was so different and unique. I think it was an eye opening movie to watch during class. I think it left many of us speechless.

Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:27 pm
All-star
All-star

One of the things the video made me think about is just how many times people are "sorted" by their gender and how this must make a transgendered person feel (especially if the person appears, physically, to be the opposite gender than the one with which they identify). One thing someone in the video brought up was men's and women's bathrooms.. If I were transgendered I can just imagine the stomach ache I would get from feeling like I was supposed to go into one bathroom because that's who I was.. but being nervous about going in there in case someone saw me and ordered me to leave. If it were me, I would probably just wait until I went home and use the bathroom at my house because I wouldn't be able to deal with the stress. What could be even worse would be signing up for a sports team if you were transgendered. Most teams are classified as either "mens" or "womens"... what would you do if you identified with one of those classifications but appeared to be a part of the other group?

Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:42 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Lauren Futch wrote:
I Sometimes we think of "transgender" as just a term and tend to dehumanize it.

I agree. I think that to often people hear a word like transgender and tend to laugh it off and not take it seriously. I personally have no problem with talking about it or even the idea of people being transgender. I think they should have all the freedom to feel and act they way they want. I think it is important that as teachers we seriously think about the reality of coming across students like this. I feel it is my responsibility as a teacher to try and bring them away from the traditional thinking of boys do this and girls do this. I will try and have less gender specific lesson, ideas and so forth. It is sad to think that this will continue to be such an issue for a long time. However the more we are aware of what's going on the more we can advocate for change and help these people to be comfortable being who it is they want to be not who we think they should be.

Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:06 pm
All-star
All-star

While I was watching this movie I was shocked by how two people can not legally be married if they are of the same sex. BUT if one of them goes and gets a sex change they are totally legal. Why should it matter and why should surgery change what makes something "right"? What about this surgery being covered by insurance??

Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:07 pm
All-star
All-star

I was definitely shocked by this movie. I also think that i was so quiet during the discussion because to be honest i had never thought about this subject much before. the movie really opened my eyes to just what it is like for trans gendered people. I am not sure where i stand on the subject still. I think it is horrible how they are treated and it was definitely shocking about some of the things they said. I am not sure how i would handle this in my classroom.

Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:29 pm
All-star
All-star

This movie was definitely shocking to me...i said in class today that i couldn't believe that ambulance workers would quit saving the life of someone because they found out they were transgendered. Just doesn't make any sense to me at all..overall the movie made me think about alot of different things. I thought about how these people must feel everyday and how as a teacher we need to make sure we are open to all different aspects of our students life. We should make everyone comfortable and be careful with what we say because we could easily offend.

Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:57 pm
All-star
All-star

Like a lot of you have been saying, I was also moved by this movie. I have not thought about this subject very much and I think it's because I have never met a transgendered person. One thing that stuck out to me in the movie, like Douglas said, was how Terry was saying that by him being transgendered and what he does to his own body doesn't effect others. I am still not sure how I stand on this subject, but I do know that how transgendered people live does not effect me or others. We do need to be opened minded on this subject as teachers because we may have transgendered students or parents of our students and we need to be able to treat them as humans and not judge them.

Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:56 am
All-star
All-star

As teachers we need to be ready to help and also work with other school officials (principals, guidance counselors, etc.) to help with addressing and helping with issues such as this one.

Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:11 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I had never really thought about trans genders before this class. After watching this film, I found myself feeling bad about my initial thoughts of being trans gendered is being "weird". The TV broadcaster didn't help the stereotype that some people have about trans gendered people when he was talking about the bathroom situation and how we'll have to have a 3rd "room" installed for the "confused". I found myself laughing at this, it was mostly because of how he said it, but just because I guess that's "comedy". Poking fun at the different just because you "can". When Nancy was talking about her experience in high school with liking to dress up in women's clothing, I thought about how I would react if I ever walked in on one of my guys friends dressed up in mens clothing had someone dressed him up that way for a date function. I would be 100% stunned. But reactions change with time. I have never known someone who is trans gendered, never known anyone who has gone through a sex change operation and just would not know how to react. Obviously I wouldn't quit speaking to a friend if they "came out" as a trans gender, but it is definitely something that would take a great deal of adjusting to.

Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]