View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Gender Reassignment Surgery 
All-star
All-star

Do you think gender reassignment surgery should be covered by insurance companies?

Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:29 pm
All-star
All-star

That's a tough question, I was thinking about this during the video. I believe that maybe some partial assistance or coverage could be provided for a surgery like this but I feel that pushing for full coverage is a tall order. I just feel that there are more critical things insurance companies should be held accountable to pay for first (life-threatening accident, low income families, etc). Too many people dont get the coverage they deserve on a wide variety of medical needs in this country, it's really a sad thing.

Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:45 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I feel that transgender surgery being covered by insurance, just as Shane stated, would be a very difficult thing to do. I think that the surgery is something that does seem to help people and improve their life/self esteem. But overall it is an elective surgery for the most part, and shouldn't be covered completely by insurance.

Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:24 am
All-star
All-star

No. Just like cosmetic surgery shouldn't be covered by insurance, because in the long run that is what it is. They can't make men women or women men. They can't make a mans body produce more estrogen or a womans body make more testerone.

We have an insurance crisis in america. Maybe that is because people are making insurance companies pay for absurd procedures. It is a superficial change just like larger breats or a new nose. You say it makes them feel better or boosts self-esteem, well so does all cosmetic surgeries. It does nothing to solve problems.

Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:39 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:22 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Jeff, I would really like to make present a good argument for why insurance should not cover gender reassignment surgery, but you have covered the key points in my argument, good job.

Delta Tau Delta- Iota Kappa
Phi Eta Sigma
ASU Men's Leadership Circle
IFC
ASU Resident Adviser- Mnt. Apts.
MRSA

Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:40 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]