View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 A Couple of Gender Role Questions... 
All-star
All-star

I have a friend who is doing a sociology project about gender roles in the classroom and would like some input on a few questions (listed below). It ties in really well with the readings we did for class over the weekend and the new unit we just started.. and I know she would really appreciate any kind of discussion about the answers. Thanks! : )

1. How do you (or would you) treat children who are teased for showing the opposite gender roles?

2. Do you (will you) assign boys and girls specific duties in the classroom (such as girls erasing the board verses boys taking out the trash)?

3. Do you (will you) promote different teaching methods for girls and boys?

4. How do you (will you) handle sexist behavior?

5. What grade level/specialty do you want to teach (elementary, middle, history, ELL, special education, etc.)?

Last edited by Lisa Hash on Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:42 pm
All-star
All-star

1. If a child were teased for showing the opposite gender roles in my classroom, I would assure that child that there is nothing wrong with doing whatever they were doing. I would also speak to the children who were doing the teasing and let them know that teasing any of their classmates for any reason is something I will not tolerate in my room. I would ask them to think about how they would feel if someone teased them about something they like to do. If the teasing were serious or malicious I would also take the appropriate measures to deal with that behavior (such as having the child sit out during recess and complete a project related to what they did- for example: researching and writing a report about a person in an opposite gender role or writing an apology letter to the student they offended).

2. I will have specific duties in my classroom, but I would not assign students to those duties based on their gender. I would have a fair system whereby each child had the opportunity to do each of the tasks.

3. I believe that children learn best through a variety of means (visually, by listening, through hands-on projects, actively doing things, etc.) and I will try to meet the needs of each of these types of learners in my lessons. I would not divide my children into groups of boys and girls and give them separate assignments based on their gender, because many children fall outside the gender stereotypes. For example, one assumption is that boys learn better through hands-on, active projects and activities... but there are also many girls who learn better this way, and then there are some boys who learn better by reading about something. I think that education should ideally be individualized for each student based on that individual student's personality and learning style, not based on their gender.

4. I will not allow discrimination of any kind in my classroom, including sexist behavior. I would hope that sexist attitudes will not be a part of my classroom because I will make a pointed effort to teach my students about both men and women who are successful in non-traditional occupations for their gender (such as male nurses or stay-at-home dads and female business leaders or mathematicians). However, if I did witness sexist behavior or attitudes in my class, I would plan a lesson challenging students to question gender stereotypes... maybe by reading a book that dealt with the issue of gender stereotypes and then holding a group discussion about those issues.

5. Elementary (4th grade)

Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:45 pm
All-star
All-star

1. I would let the student know that there is nothing wrong with his/her behavior. I would also make sure to help that student regain confidence with himself/herself. I think I would also tell them of an example of someone that does not follow the typical gender roles. For example a famous woman athlete or a stay-at-home dad. I wouldn't want that student to feel different or akward in my classroom. I would also pull aside the student that was teasing the student and tell them how wrong it was.
2. I will assign my students duties in the classroom but it will not be based on gender. I will probably use a rotation system so all students will have had a turn at all duties by the end of the year.
3. I will not have specific teaching methods just for boys or just for girls. I hope to use mulitple teaching methods with different lessons in hopes of reaching all students equally since all students learn differently.
4. This is difficult to say because I believe sexist behavior begins at home and it is hard to tell students differently from how they are raised because you don't want your students to think you believe their parents are wrong. This could offend the student and the parents which would cause you to lose their respect. I think I would just tell my student that I do not agree with that type of behavior and I will not tollerate it in my classroom.
5. Elementary

Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:20 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

1. I think like Lauren said it is important to let children know that there are different roles and that we don't have label them as male or female.

2. I've always looked upon giving roles and duties in the classroom as a learning experience for everyone. I want all my children to have a chance to try everything such as being the line leader, holding the door open, help set up/clean up for snack, help take the trash out, etc. I think that children need to feel like they are responsible for something and children like to try new things so why limit them to something that is seen as male or female.

3. We are reading an article in my CI 3850 about how boys learn differently because their language acquisition is different and they use different parts of their brain. I fully believe in using learning methods that are best suited to my children whether they are male or female. If this means that I need to do more moving around activities with the boys in my classroom or more sit down and listen activities with my girls then so be it. However on that same note I still plan on exposing my children to all the same learning methods until they find something that works for them.

4. I would let the children know that that sort of behavior is not acceptable in the classroom and ask them how they would feel if someone was saying that to them.

5. I would like to teach 1-2 year olds but will be doing my student teaching with Kindergarteners and hoipe to work with Pre-K.

Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:35 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

1. My classroom will already know that teasing will not be tolerated. I will address and verbally reprimand the student that did the teasing and depends on the severity of the incident, more actions can be taken. As for the student that was teased, I will reassure them that they did nothing wrong. I would give him/her a quick talk about how each of us are different and different is good….you got to brush those haters off.

2. I will set up my classroom with a work chart where each student with alternate their chores each week. Every student will have equal opportunities with each chore.

3. I will alter my methods while I teach but not because of gender. My teaching methods will vary because I’m try to reach each child in their own way of learning.

4. You would have to be a little more specific on what kind of sexist behavior is being portrayed. Of course, such behavior will not be tolerated and dealing with such situations will vary.

5. 4th or 5th grade Elementary

Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:09 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

1. I will treat all of my students equally. The way they express themselves may different than my opinion, but as a teacher my opinion should be removed from the classroom. There is nothing wrong if a students wishes to express themselves through opposite ways of their gender then that is their choice. And bullying and teasing will not be permitted in my classroom.
2. I will not assign typical female tasks to females only and vice versa. If I will assign duties in the classroom, it will be in a manner in which students draw out of a bucket their duty. This way it is random and whatever task they get it will be because they drew it and not because it was assigned because of their "gender expectations".
3. I will promote teaching different methods for different learners, not for different genders. Yes, boys and girls learn in different manners, that does not mean that I have to separate the two and teach them differently. Their are ways to teach them together in the same classroom, but using different teaching strategies to reach all students.
4. I do not tolerate sexist behavior, whether it be toward a male or a female. Typically we associate sexist with someone being offensive toward a female. But this is not always true. If it occurs in my classroom it will be addressed so that the students understand that it will not be tolerated.
5. I want to teach Secondary Education- United States History

Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:42 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

1. I am dealing with that right now in my 5th grade room that I tutor in. A male student wears pink bracelets, and commented that another male student's foot was "attractive." I treat him the same as anyone else in my classroom. When I have my own classroom, the students will know that any kind of teasing will NOT be tolerated. I am not going to encourage opposite gender behavior (that will just lead to more teasing from the students), but I am going to act like it's totally normal and no big deal. If the students see me doing it, then they will have a model to follow.

2. I will not assign any particular gender a certain "classroom role" that goes with their traditional gender roles. Everyone will have jobs, or they can volunteer for jobs (some students even like taking out the trash!)

3. I don't think I will promote different teaching methods for boys and girls. In my Middle grades class, to quote an idea that Jeff has said previously, all children step into my classroom with a clean slate, an equal opportunity to learn and be taught. Girls learn just as well as boys.

4. I will attempt to handle sexist behavior with the calm way that Dr. Turner showed us in class, that dealt with problem situations. I will let them know that it's not appropriate, and I will try to be creative with my discipline so that I will NOT send them out of the room. I get pretty upset when I see sexist behavior, but I will try to communicate to my students that it's NOT okay, but remain calm about it.

5. I want to teach Middle level education (6-8) Language Arts

Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:19 pm
All-star
All-star

1. I would not tolerate teasing in my classroom, no matter what it is for. I think teasing is a huge factor in childrens self-esteem and it starts at such a young age, if you can stop it at an early age children are less likely to continue it.
2. No, i will assign both boys and girls the same duties and will not separate them based on their gender.
3.I think that girls and boys learn differently so i will try to incorporate a little of both teaching styles to accommodate all of my students.
4. I will not accept sexist behavior in my classroom. I know that a lot of it is learned at home,but when students enter my classroom they will all treat each other fairly and as they would want to be treated
5. elementary (k-2)

Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:18 pm
All-star
All-star

1. I wouldn't tolerate teasing of any students in my classroom. Everyone is equal and their for the same reason. Respect is the key to success and I will preach that from day one.

2. I wouldn't assign any of students to do anything in particular other than maybe telling a student who is closet to the lights to turn them off/on when we're watching a film but that would be about it. I would handle all the other affairs during my planning period or if I had a student teacher helping me.

3. Well teaching U.S History/World History/ C&E I would probably have a basic teaching method for all my classes. I definitely promote different teaching methods as I go because I want to always be changing and altering/updating my information and teaching style. I want my students of both sexes to learn new methods of teaching through class discussions, presentations, projects, debates, presentations, etc. by teaching the rest of the class a little something they've studied up on.

4. I know being a high school teacher this behavior is at an all time high and having a no tolerance policy for it is crucial. I won't deal with it, first time it happens we're going out the door to talk and choose an action to take depending on the situation.

5. I want to teach High School Social Studies - U.S./World History

Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:24 pm
All-star
All-star

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who responded to these questions. I sent your responses to my friend and she said that they really helped her with her project on gender roles in the classroom.

Thanks!

Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]