View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Remembering Va. Tech/Reflecting on school violence 
All-star
All-star

It's hard to believe it's been a year since the shootings at Virginia Tech. I have visited the school before for a football game, and have some friends that go there and it's hard thinking that over thirty students were killed for just being dedicated college students at such a peaceful and unique place. I know App had a "scare" not long ago with the report of a gunman, for my fellow student teachers heading into the field in the fall how are feeling about the safety and amount of violence in public schools at this point in time? How big of a concern do you have in your school being protected and your students being safe? An interesting note with violence is that just this morning I saw a report of a teenage girl beating another in the back with a metal chair at their school (they have footage of the act too).

Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:29 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

As a soon to be pre-k or kindergarten student teacher i am anxious about everything that will happen. I had never really thought about the issue of safety until you brought it up Shane. I guess growing up in a small town i have always had this false sense of security. But with the scare that happened not too long ago i got a taste of what others living in more populous and urban cities must deal with everyday. The safety of my students and of myself is a big concern and hopefully the school i student teach at will have taken the proper precautions to make sure that everyone will be safe. Granted that nothing is guaranteed but i have faith that everything will turn out alright. That is how i feel about this issue how do some of you who will be teaching in high schools, where hormones and aggression prevail, feel?

Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:08 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I've been thinking about it, as well. One of my close friends had a cousin that was killed at V-Tech, as well as one of my boss's friend's (she graduated from V-Tech two years ago). It's always apalling and disappointing to realize what terrible acts people are capable of. It's also sad that App got so much media coverage for the "scare", but not nearly as much when we found out it was a hoax. I'd like to think that most schools are relatively safe-that teachers and students are safe. However, the reality is that most schools have a safety plan...but that's about it. It's only inner-city schools (mostly) that go through the trouble of installing metal detectors and placing armed officers at entrances. It's something that I'm going to be aware of, but you can't let fear rule your life, either.

Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]