View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 No Child Left Behind 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I know this is a very open-ended question but...what does everyone think about no child left behind?

Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:24 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Well Rubio, I feel like it was developed for a good reason meaning it was developed so that people would see a priority in helping their students in every way possible not fail and move on to the next level. I don't think it's been carried out in that manner and I feel like it has become so linked with teaching to the test that it's not so much about helping the students learn in the best way for themselves and actually get something out of education but it has become just a way to get everyone to pass. No Child Left Behind has become such a stress on teachers. They get "punished" and the school system gets "punished" if their students don't move on and this is not fair. Some students need extra and teachers aren't being allowed to give this to them because they are being pushed to cram so much material into a certain amount of time to meet regulations for No Child Left Behind. I think as teachers we need to get back to the concept of helping our students learn in the best way and actually retain and enjoy what they are learning.

Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:42 pm
All-star
All-star

Has to be changed. This doesn't work or help the students in the long run. They have the right idea, but have no clue how to implement it correctly. Tell President Bush to come to Charlotte and come see the inner city schools in the the Charlotte-Mecklenburg district and see how hard this is making it for regular teachers.

Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:20 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

ah....NCLB.....or as I like to call it....a waste of paper and energy. I agree that the idea was good and I'm sure it looked awesome on paper. However, once it was moved from paper to implementation it fell apart. The funding and such was just never there for the program to work well. I disagree that a teacher and school system should be punished for how a child performs in school. There should of course be accountability and such to make sure teachers aren't slacking off but I think NCLB fails to address that problem and just serves the purpose of upping the stress level. Although I believe every child can learn I have also seen kids that have for whatever reason been pushed to the point where they don't care if they learn. I have seen these same kids purposely fail a test simply because they don't like the teacher. Am I to be held accountable for this apathy?

Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:08 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Agreed, it was a good idea that is being poorly executed. While the intent was to help ensure that all students received a quality education, it has resulted in many schools and programs suffering worse than they were before it was developed.

Delta Tau Delta- Iota Kappa
Phi Eta Sigma
ASU Men's Leadership Circle
IFC
ASU Resident Adviser- Mnt. Apts.
MRSA

Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:52 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with everyone here with the No Child Left Behind. It is getting us no where. The overall look did look great on paper but as for the outcome it hasn't did anything for us. I love Shane's point when it comes to the NCLB. My high school was much like CMS district with the inner city schools and it is very hard on the teachers that are trying to implement this and the program is suffering.

Thu May 01, 2008 1:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]