View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Helen Keller 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Helen Keller was such an inspiring female of her time and her legend still remains today. I guess I really didn't know her story until I read the article on her. I guess that with time the real story fades and people just remember the parts they want to. She is one of the reasons why i want to become a teacher...to inspire others. Keller believe that "The world is moved not only by the mighty stories of heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker."
Knowing that we aren't in this profession because of the money;I guess my question to you all is what inspired you to become a teacher?

Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:37 pm
All-star
All-star

Bob Cole (my old Honors U.S. History teacher) really inspired me and opened my eyes to becoming a teacher. He had some great teaching methods and strategies that I really took to. He taught me that to be great, you have to be a little bit of everything. He taught me self-discipline, accountability, what it means to be dedicated, and so many other important things. I knew that his life, being a successful and prominent educator, successful coach, and proud family man was exactly what I wanted for myself.

Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:31 pm
All-star
All-star

I would have to say that my mom and dad both inspired me to be a teacher. Neither one of my parents are teachers, but my mother is a nurse at Brenner Children's Hospital and my dad owns a business and has been coaching since I was about five. My parents have influenced me because they both work with children and I have seen how they make a difference in kid's lives, and I hope to do the same thing.

Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:02 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

By age 22, I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. I already attended one university but left shortly after. I traveled and lived in 4 different cities in 2 years. Then with my passion of photography, I landed a job with Hallmark as a photographer. While working for Hallmark, I was offered an opening GM position at a new photography studio called Picture People in Cary, NC (which is a child portrait studio). From there, I ran that studio for two years before returning back to school for my new passion, teaching children. "I believe the children are our are future, Teach them well and let them lead the way, Show them all the beauty they possess inside, Give them a sense of pride to make it easier, Let the children's laughter remind us how we used to be." I think Ms. Houston says it right there.

Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:36 pm
All-star
All-star

I have always somewhat wanted to be a teacher but it was not until high school that i truly realized that was what i wanted to do. It was because of my math teacher in high school. He is an amazing teacher that not only taught well he took the time to connect with each student he met. He always went out of his way to make sure i understood the material and he tutored me twice a week after school. Mr. Taylor was the best teacher i have had and it is because of him that i want to teach. I want to be able to affect my students the way that he affected me. He didnt make class seem like a chore but rather something i looked forward to doing each day. I still keep in touch with him whenever i go back home and every year new students find just how great of a person he is.

Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:44 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I just finished talking about it but i guess i have to say that who inspired me to become a teacher were the teachers i had in first grade. My first grade teacher, Mrs. Wienbarger treated everyone in the class the same. She loved each and everyone of us. Her assistant, Mrs. Cole also acted the same way toward the kids in class. They both made my first year in school and in America easy to handle. Another teacher that i had was my ESL teacher Mrs. Angie. She is the one who allowed me to communicate with my peers and with other adults. Eventhough she did not know that much spanish she still managed to teach me more than she'll ever know. i guess the ability to make a difference in someones life is what makes me want to become a teacher. I want to be like those teacher that i have had and hopefully inspire someone else to become a teacher one day.

Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:30 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

When it comes to having been inspired to be a teacher, I don't know that I can pinpoint a certain event or person in my life that has encouraged me to become a teacher. It's one of those things that I've always known I wanted to do. I used to play "school" when I was younger with my sisters and with my friends. I wasn't usually the "teacher" in these games, but rather the "student" and I would always go up to the chalkboard and answer the silly questions we had. When I was in class when I was younger, and in high school, and especially in college, I would think of ways that I could have taught a lesson plan differently, and what I liked that some of my old teachers/professors have done in the classroom.

Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]