View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 What this class has taught me 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Throughout this class we have talked about a lot of things that were meant to have us open our eyes and hearts a little more to our students. We have touched on issues that are private, scary and enjoyable. I feel like this class has served me a great deal in becoming a future teacher by helping me to open my eyes to the realities of life. We are so often caught up with who we know that we forget about the people that we don't know or the ones that are left in the shadows. I now have the confidence to face my students and not be afraid to address such important issues with them or the ones I work with. I was just wondering what everyone else's feeling were on this class and if you to feel like it has helped you to become a better teacher. Or did it even make a difference?

Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:31 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Danielle, I whole-heartedly believe that this class has been beneficial opening my eyes to issues that I’m sure we will all eventually face in the classroom. Even though I have already taken a relatively liberal stance on most of these issues, this class has definitely broadened and deepened my perspective on all of the issues that we’ve discussed. I, too, feel like I’m ready to address touchy issues with fellow teachers, students, parents and everyone wlse in my learning community.

Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:41 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree. This class was my first opportunity to really explore a lot of the controversial (and potentially scary) things we may face when we become teachers. It helped me to figure out what I will say and how I will react to these situations when they occur. Even more than this though, several of the articles we read and videos we watched really inspired me (especially Bill Bigelow's article and the video about the debate team). Finally, even though it wasn't technically part of the class, I really enjoyed getting to know everyone from the pre-class discussions in the Edwin-Duncan lounge. A lot of times it was easier for me to talk with our smaller group of people about class topics than it was with the whole class. : )

I hope everyone's final projects and exams go smoothly and you all have a wonderful summer! : )

Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]