View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 How have you been affected by Cuadros' tale? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

[color=olive]Since deciding to become a teacher, I’ve realized more and more that I want to be a vessel for social change. I want my classroom to be a place where democratic values of equality and justice permeate a creative learning environment. As an investigative reporter, Cuadros shared my passion for social activism by highlighting “the people marginalized in [American] societyâ€

Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:57 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Alot of what I read in the book really inspired me to be an advocate for those you are marginialized because of their ethnicity and such. The book was great. I enjoyed the story of the Chavos and thier trail to victory. However what touched me more was the individual stories of the players, their background and things that they had faced. Hearing about their hardships back in Mexico, crossing the boarder and trying to help their family survive put my thought's into a whole new perspective. As a teacher I will be more aware of what the minorities and their family had to struggle through just in order to be able to sit at a desk in my classroom. I never realized how in one community so many people have been through the same experinces. I guess I was nieve in thinking that not that many people fight for their life trying to come to america to better their lives. I am not quite sure how this will effect me as a teacher quite yet. However I do know that now that I am more aware of the situations I will be much more able to communicate with my students and do what I need to to help them succeed in school and life. This story truly was inspiring.

Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:22 pm
All-star
All-star

I completely agree. I loved the book and how it not only told a great story but also forced you to examine your own views and implied a challenge for everyone to take a critical look at what we can do in our own lives to make a positive change in the world.

Also.. Brittany, right now I'm researching ways to incorporate issues of social justice into a curriculum to promote activism- and I came across two books that are excellent if that's something you really want to do in your class. One is called Writing for a Change: Boosting Literacy and Learning through Social Action, published by Jossey-Bass Teacher and the other is Stirring Up Justice by Jessica Singer.

Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:58 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I didn't get to finish the book but the book made me realize that one person can really make a difference. Cuadros was not even a teacher and he was able to make an impact in so many childrne's lives. He stood out among the crowd and spoke up for those who couldn't. He was able to find a way to get to the kids and to make them feel as if they had something that was theirs. I hope that as a teacher i will also make changes in the ways we view our society. I will be able to teach children at a young age about how everyone is different and how it makes our world better. I actually got to meet Cuadros when he came to speak at our school. He was a down-to-earth guy who believes that he did what he was supposed to do.

Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]