View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Earth day 
All-star
All-star

So..this may be a little random, but I couldn't help but thinking about how today is Earth Day and as a teacher what could we do to implement this in our classroom. Just wanted to make a fun post for us to talk about how we could implement Earth Days with different topics. I thought about this today because as I was walking to class, I was behind someone who was talking to their friend and mentioned how they have never heard of Earth Day. I found this shocking but realized that if he had never heard of it, there may be other people, and since I will be a future teacher and the environment is important to me as a health educator, I wanted to talk about different lessons for different subjects we could use. I thought about that as a health educator, I could talk to my classes about the benefits of recycling and how it makes an impact on the Earth and our future. I guess in a way I just feel like everyone should know about Earth Day in order to pratice ways to protect our environment!

Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:29 pm
All-star
All-star

Ah Earth Day. The forgotten holiday in my book. A great day for everyone to give back to their environment and protect our planet. One thing a teacher did at my high school back in the day was purchase a tree, plants, etc. and take his students outside to plant in the school courtyard outside the school building. It enhanced the school's appearance, brought Earth Day to the forefront for the students, and allowed the students to contribute to their school in an alternative way. And like Brooke mentioned, many students don't even know what Earth Day is so this will get them familiar with this important holiday at an early age.

Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:21 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that thinking about how to help the environment is something, as teachers, we need to be thinking about constantly. How much paper am I using? How often do I use the overhead rather than just writing on the board? But more than just the amount of paper we use, but how we can encourage our students to do more to help the environment in their own homes. Over spring break I flew out west and was flipping through the "Delta Sky Miles" magazine they have in the seat pockets of the plane. There was a HUGE article on things that we can do to conserve energy. It was a while back, but towards the end of March, I think it was the 29th, there was an "Earth Hour". If every American had turned their lights off at 8pm local time, Americans alone would have prevented 16,610 TONS of carbon dioxide from entering the atmosphere. TONS. They also had things to relate what that means, that's enough to fill every single hot air balloon at the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta more than 7 times. I looked it up, and they have more than 900 balloons that participate (here's the website if you want to check it out: http://www.balloonfiesta.com/ ). In this article there was so much more on how people can help conserve energy and better the environment. I'll post more about it when I have the article in front of me. Pretty interesting stuff.

Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:45 am
All-star
All-star

What is a Pirates favorite holiday? Arrrrbor Day.

So calling Earth Day a forgotten holiday is a joke. Arbor Day is a forgotten Holiday that Earth Day has replaced.

I have nothing else to add to the conversation, just pointing that out.

Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:07 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I feel that not just as teachers, but as humans who inhabit the Earth, it is important to implement Earth friendly practices into our rooms. I know, for instance, that my classroom will most definitely have recycling bins so that the kids will be encouraged to make such Earth friendly choices that they will perhaps carry with them throughout the years.

Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:11 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Jeff, I disagree that arbor day is a forgotten holiday. It just has less press than other holidays.

Delta Tau Delta- Iota Kappa
Phi Eta Sigma
ASU Men's Leadership Circle
IFC
ASU Resident Adviser- Mnt. Apts.
MRSA

Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:58 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

After thinking about it, Patriot's Day is probably the most forgotten holiday. It commemorates the beginning of the first battle of the American Revolutionary War.

Delta Tau Delta- Iota Kappa
Phi Eta Sigma
ASU Men's Leadership Circle
IFC
ASU Resident Adviser- Mnt. Apts.
MRSA

Thu May 01, 2008 12:02 am
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Me becoming a health educator i feel that it is a need to remind our students of Earth Day. I say this because the enviornment is part of our overall health and the conditions that we will be living in. I remember when i was in high school junior year, me and a few of my friends started the club "Earth Club". We would plan certain community service activities and we even had a yard sell with things that we didn't want or need anymore. With the money that we received from the yard sell, we purchesed a tree and planted it in the center of campus. We all felt really good about what we had done and hopefully in doing that i can teach my students how important it is to take care of the environment. NOt just on Earth Day but everyday!

Thu May 01, 2008 1:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]