View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Being "Earthy" 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Just wanted to post some of the highlights from a Delta Sky Miles magazine I read over a looonnnggggg flight over spring break. Earth Week made me thing about it, as well as one of the other threads. Here ya go:

If the thermostats in every house in America were lowered 1 degree Fahrenheit during the winter, the nation would save 230 million barrels of crude oil—enough to fill an oil tanker 400 times. (That’s the amount of oil being imported into the United States from Iraq each year.)

If Delta’s 40 million SkyMiles members were to spend 1 minute less each day in the shower over their lifetimes, they would save 4 trillion gallons of water—the total amount of snow and rain that falls over the entire lower 48 United States in a day.

One hour of using a gas-operated leaf blower produces the same amount of greenhouse gases as a car driving 4,400 miles—that’s a round trip from Salt Lake City to New York City.

If every American switched to receiving just one bill as an electronic statement instead of a paper one, the one-time savings would be 217,800,000 sheets—enough to completely blanket the island of Key West in a single layer of paper.

If homebuilders installed one dual-flush toilet instead of a standard low-flow toilet in every new house built in 2008, they would save 1.65 billion gallons of water a year.
as a side note-- these dual-flush toilets are now available in the student union bathrooms near mcalisters

If every American collected 1 gallon of water once a week while waiting for the shower or bathwater to get hot (use it to water your houseplants!), the total saved would be 15.8 billion gallons of water a year—enough to fill the Reflecting Pool at the National Mall in Washington, D.C., 2,338 times.

If just one passenger per each flight in the world this year packed 1 pound less of luggage, they would save enough fuel to fly a Boeing 737 around the world 474 times.

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:11 pm
All-star
All-star

The national pool thing reminded me of something. When i visited DC a month or so ago all the monuments and fountains had been drained except for the reflecting pool. Without all that gorgeous wasted water the place isn't as pretty.

Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:47 pm
All-star
All-star

Jacob your right on that. Without the water a lot of the monuments and fountains you just couldn't get that full affect. Still a great place to visit and that was an awesome trip. Everyone can definitely do more to cut back on our water use and every little bit helps. A lot of towns are on water restriction right now because of the recent drought throughout the state, I know Charlotte and the surrounding towns are on a pretty tight water restriction at the moment and have been for awhile.

Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:39 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

since we are on the subject of being "earthy"......please recycle. i live in boone and have an advantage of free pick-up. even when i lived in sugar grove, i would take recyclables to the center. it's easy to do and helps save our environment. all of our buildings on campus have recycle bins.....USE THEM. i can't tell you how many times i have taken cans and bottles out of the trash to recycle them.....STOP BEING LAZY PEOPLE!

just thought of this after i posted. when i lived in cali, droughts there were ridiculous. we had an old saying with the toilet...."if it's yellow, be mellow. if it's brown, flush down."

Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:20 pm
All-star
All-star

Funny story about Charlottes water reduction campaign. It encouraged conservation so much that the City was no selling enough water to cover its costs. Utilities are a service provided by the city with no funding, they are expected to cover their own costs. As a result Charlotte had to raise the price of water.

Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:27 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]