View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Inspiration 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Who inspired you most to become a teacher?

Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:25 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In seventh and eighth grade I was lucky to have an excellent math instructor: Anne Flippen - she even encouraged an after-school program for math. She along with Thom Taylor (HS) at Avery did very well to provide a solid foundation for my math career. At science and math, Dr. Kolena appeared as a physics god, needless to say their near perfection in mistake free board-work has inspired me to strive for just that! Outside of class, these 3 instructors were always compassionate and willing to spend a few moments of their time to better my understanding (and other students too) of the topic - something I hope to give in return for all students - that is I hope to flawlessly find my instructional voice and board-work, while maintaining drive to encourage and help develop each student's mathematical mindedness!

Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:48 am
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

There's not a teacher that influenced me to become a teacher, I'm doing it because the obesity epidemic needs to be dealt with. I want to prove to the world that Physical Education is just as important as any other subject.

Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:18 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I guess my PE teacher in elementary school. We were always moving and having fun but she's pretty much not enjoying her teaching these days as I found out in my internship. That's sad. I'm pretty much doing it to have fun, summers off, and keep kids active. Cheers Rachel

Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:30 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have always wanted to be a teacher, but I have had a few inspirations that have kept me on the right track!
First of all, my freshman geometry teacher inspired me. She is dyslexic and has had many hard times, but she still followed her dreams and is fair to every student no matter what their circumstances may be. She is always involved with her students and still remembers my name til this day! My sister and I have had many conversations about this teacher and how she pushes you and in her class, we wanted to learn!
My second inspiration came from another teacher of kindergarten. I did an internship in high school and she thought I would do well in teaching, mainly because I paid attention to each students needs. She really gave me inspiration to teach and I still talk to her from time to time!
Last but not least, I was working in a convienent store one sunny afternoon, and a school pshycologist had came in. I had just changed my major to pshycology when she told me that teachers make the biggest difference. I asked her how and she said, think about it like this, "sometimes your classroom may be the only safe place they know." She went on to explain that the classroom can be like home for many of these students and for me no to give up because teaching allows us to interact with the students more than most people!

Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:22 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was inspired by a lot of people to become a teacher. Although I am not very confident about it, throughout high school and college many people have told me that that is what they think I should do with my life. I guess initially my English teachers in high school inspired me. But, the most inspirational person was my high school math teacher. I hated the subject so much until I met this teacher Mr. Zechman. He was the kind of teacher that I respected and wanted to do well for, even though I really wasn't interested in the subject. I think if I could get some students into English who thought that they hated it before, it could really benefit them. I was always inspired by my sister and two brother in laws. They all teach and hearing their stories and seeing how they have progressed into great teachers makes me excited to try to do the same.

Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:51 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have to say that no one teacher push my choice to become a teacher. It was however a combination of all my teachers, good and bad, and my supreme love for my subject. I hope that everyone else going into our profession finds this type of enjoyment in their profession, because I honestly don't think that the influence of just one teacher will be enough to sustain anyone through the awesome, scary, trying, and rewarding career that we all have ahead of us.

Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:58 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have been working as a TA in preschools since I was to old to be in a class myself, so I have always known that I liked working and teaching children. I had 2 amazing history teachers and an amazing photography teacher in high school, I wanted to be like them. As for teaching in general, it just seems right. People have said they can see me as a teacher, and I liked the idea of having summers off to work on photography.

Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:07 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

My mother had a huge part in inspiring me to become a teacher. When I first came to college I had a lot of aspirations and teaching wasn't one of them. However over time I came to realize that making more money wasn't the way I wanted to live I would rather do something that is going to make me happy. I saw how happy and how much she truly enjoyed her job and that went a long way in inspiring me to become a teacher.

Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:42 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I knew that I wanted to teach when I was in middle school, but my true inspiration didn't come until the summer after eighth grade. Paul Salamunovich is a world-renowned choral conductor who is known for his wide contribution to choral music. He has conducted choirs for over 70 film scores and has performed and conducted the world's greatest ensembles. The demands that he makes and the passion that he exudes is powerful and contagious. To see a 80 year old man jump up and down and scream at you is overwhelming, yet he makes you sing the way you should. The ground that he walks upon is worshiped by many and will be for many generations.

Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:51 am

When i switched school systems in middle school, I took chorus with Mr. Mabe from 6th grade through graduation. Everyone loved him but he got a lot of respect, and everyone in town felt like they were in debt to him because of all his musical contributions to the community. I was always into music, but everything i learned from him and the experiences i had definitely gave me the drive to become a music teacher

Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:30 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

My high school associate band director inspired me to become a teacher. Most students absolutely hated her and could not stand coming into her rehearsals. However, she was the most effective and fun loving teacher I have ever encounter in music. She was a graduate of ASU and encouraged me to come to school here as.

Jazz Certificate

Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:54 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]