View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Public Schools 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Public schools are good for America because it molds our youth so that the future will be secure in their hands. Also, it is a great opportunity for students to be prepared for college. I'm glad that the schools do prepare students for college once you have a degree no one can take it away from you and you can decide to pursue other things after you have a degree.

Tue May 27, 2008 7:50 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Along the lines of being a public school educator: what will we be up against when some students arrive to our class with a home-school or private school background? with different knowledge, different ideas, and/or skills than those regularly attending public school?

Thankfully public high school prepared me in many ways for college; though too, there were areas I would have wanted to learn more about - real world work experiences helped me to learn in my time away from school too!

Tue May 27, 2008 8:40 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Stuart. What about those students who have been home-schooled or in a private school? When these students are put into a public school setting it is a whole new experience for them. A girl that I knew during middle and high school was constantly being taken in and out of home-school and put into the public school system. I felt like when she came back to the public school setting she was lost. I feel like these students are lacking the social skills needed to be successful later in life. Although this student was smart as could be, she had no idea how to communicate with others or work with others. I just wonder how that will affect her in the long run. I am sure she had the potential to make it to college but I would be interested to see how things worked out for her in a college setting.

Wed May 28, 2008 10:08 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I also believe that the public school system, at least were I'm from, prepared me for real life experiences. Yes it prepared me for college, but to tell you the truth I had to adjust to college alot. I think that the communication and people skills I learned from going to public schools really prepared me for adapting to college, since I knew a total of 3 people when I came here. I feel like that the kids that are being home schooled are not getting those social skills like we get in public. Just this past semester we taught the home school children in Wataga County at Varisty Gym, and there were alot that had social and communication issues. Some were not even able to read or write their own name. It was very sad, and hopefully then home schooled kids can turn it around when they get older.

Wed May 28, 2008 1:57 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Sidney. Several of the kids that I have had personal encounters with during my college career have not been the biggest social butterflies. I've noticed that kids that are home-schooled tend to entertain themselves, they aren't reliant on others for self fulfillment, yet they don't behave as other students who attend public schools. In the past many of my friends that are musicians are home schooled. They tend to be excellent students but sometimes a real drag to hang out with. On the other hand I have some friends that were home schooled during what many of us would consider our public education and they are far more out going than many of us that were educated in public schools.

Jazz Certificate

Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:43 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Public schools tend to get a negative connotation with most people. Parents tend to think that those in public school don't have as good of teachers as those in private school. They also think that those in public school are more prone to drugs, alcohol, bullying, and other problems often found in school systems. However, those thoughts of public school are not necessarily true. What most parents don't realize is that the things they fear most in a public school system are found in every school and sometimes found more within a private schools. Teachers go to schools that they prefer to work in; thus not all the highest qualified teachers are in private schools. I agree that public schools do prepare children for a life outside of school. Students learn communication, people skills, and learn to find who they are by being immersed in a diverse setting.

Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:52 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

While social skills are important, receiving the best possible education is what matters for our kids today. Public Schools should ensure that all children have the basic abilities that will enable them to live a prosperous life. While not a fan of home-schooling, I respect that some parents feel they could better serve the needs of their children themselves. Also, I feel like useful social skills change given different areas of SES but also within different cultural regions. I would have a hard time adjusting to life outside of what I know now but it could be done just like many children from home-school make the adjustment to high school or college life eventually.

Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:25 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The public school system in my eyes is just a great way to get children in a social setting that they are mildly confortable with. They learn to work with others through groups and learn to work as individuals as well. I think that we are straying away from the simple thing that children need to learn to communicate and through PE they can learn that better than sitting and listening to a boring lesson taught with no enthusiasm. That's some of the experience I had in school. All I wanted to do was hang out with my friends. I couldn't tell you one thing about social studies that I learned in K-8.

Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:48 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Like Sidney, my experience working with the home school students last semester was a real eye opener. Some of the kids couldn't comprehend any words on a page and others couldn't even write their own names. It was very sad to me that this was the education that their parents were giving them.

It also made me value the skills I learned in public schools much more than I previously did. I think that being in such a diverse setting and learning to communicate with different people with different points of view is crucial in the steps to achieving higher education.

I am not against home-school or private schools. If parents have the time and the money to do so and they think that it is more valuable for their kids then that's fine and dandy. I just think that in any job you have, it is so important to have interpersonal skills. With those children having no contact with a diverse range of people, I think it makes it a lot harder to adjust to a "real world" setting.

Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:24 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

As well as Sidney and Eli, I worked with the homeschool children and it was so surprising that they skills in working with words was very limited. Writing their names was a big challenge for most.

I love that I went to public school. Maggie talks about how public schools help us socially, which I agree with. I feel that public school allows us the opportunity to always be in the presence of other ethnic groups, instead of being kept up for the most part at home during homeschooling and then venturing off to college and not being used to the experience as well as a public school student.

Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:50 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Parents can make or break home-schooling. I know several people who were homeschool and they act just like "public school" kids. They were apart of homeschool groups where if a parent had a strength in math she would teach several of the members of the homeschool group. They also played sports and were active in there youth groups.

I understand that not all homeschoolers are prepared for a public school or college setting. That teachers might need to work with them a little more on a one on one setting till they get adjusted. But dont count out all homeschoolers they might just surprise you.

Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:55 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am on the side that public schools do provide a good experience for those kids who attend them. I was in a public school in a little town, but I believe that it can prepare you for the real world and school, but the way you take it is up to the students. I know that I didn't focus to much on school and mostly on sports, but that prepared me for what I would face in the future with sports. Looking back I wish I would have put more time into my academics. You live and you learn. I also think that all though the world might be unjust, there is social class and the public school can open the eyes of the real world.

Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]