View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Socioeconomic Status 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

As a teacher, do we teach to the social classes found in our classroom? Or do we find a way to look past all of the social classes and teach the same style no matter the location we are working in?

It's hard to not notice social classes in a classroom. Sometimes a teacher will use the location (s)he are in to make a lesson plan. Some teachers like to make lessons relate to students' life outside of class. Can that be done without acknowledging the social classes?

Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:54 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I do not think that acknowledging the social classes in your classroom is necessarily bad; it is the human thing to do. I think we just should not let that impact how we treat the children in our classes.

I think it is a great idea to create lesson plans that relate to students' lives outside of class because it holds their interest more than if a teacher taught more generally. Making things real for students and showing them real-life applications of a lesson is a great thing.

I am not sure that a teacher can create real-life applications for every student without acknowledging class at least somewhat because students from different classes will have completely different experiences from one another.

Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:01 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have to admit I used to work as a teacher assisstant at Sweetwater Elementary School in Catawba County. This school consisted of 98% free and reduced lunch. The socioeconomic status of this school was obviously very low. Every teacher in the school was aware of this, however no one taught to the socioeconomic they taught to the ability of the children. Every child has different learning needs and styles..this is how teachers need to educate. I also agree that we need to teach to real life situations because that is what we know and how we all learn regardless of what socioeconomic class we live in.

Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:50 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

going along with Jordan's post, and the class activity, which separated the group by social class, I have a question for the instructor and anyone who reads this posting: Do you think we should cater to each student's class and treat them as we'd discussed? Or do you think we should treat them each the same, regardless of status? I'm sure it will be somewhat human nature to change our instructional tone, but in some cases would it not be more effective to reverse treatment? (by reverse i mean treat the lower classes as if they were in an upper tax bracket and the upper as if they would always have to work for a living. (?))

I'm sure in several cases there will be students who have a special need for particular methods of or treatment during teaching. I just can't seem to imagine befriending and allowing special privileges to those students who come from a richer background, despite the fact they may expect the special treatment from me or their instructors. I suppose I'm looking for the ideal class in which every student can be treated with the same respect and have access to all the same coursework materials; how do you feel about making the distinction?

Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:12 am
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

As far as whether or not we as teachers teach social class(es), I think we probably do to some extent. I think it has to do with the area you are from; for example, my hometown consisted of really only one type of person, and so that is what education revolved around.

However, I don't necessarily agree with this. I think if we want our students to further their education and broaden their horizons, then don't we need to open their eyes to those different from them?

Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:51 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I feel like everybody's different. They come from different places and different social settings. However, if we teach to the students, we will be facing different ways in which we need to teach them. I have to keep in mind that the children can't help what they were born into so we need to be mindful of that. We should I guess teach to what their class is but not in a dumb way--a clever way would be the best in that not letting any of the other students be aware of what we're doing.

Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:52 am

I believe that what we expect from our students is what we will get. No matter what I do as a teacher I know that I will enter my classroom with a predetermined expectation from my students. I know that subconsiously knowing a students socioeconomic status may or may not influence this. I would hope that I would challenge each student to their own ability that would force them to be the best that they could be. No matter where a student may come from I honostly believe they can go far beyond what we could ever believe they can.

Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]