View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 EOG's and their determining factor on passing or failing 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Since I have worked as a teacher assisstant I saw the pressure of EOG's every year. This pressure was on the students as well as the teachers. I saw students who worked hard all year and then fail the EOG and have to go to summer school. My question is...Do you think that the EOG should be the determining factor of whether students pass or fail grades K-8 or do you think that there should be other factors that determine passing or failing?

Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:18 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This is an issue that has crossed my mind as well. Though I remember always doing well on the EOG's, I was always terrified of doing poorly. I think I also compare this to the SAT's. I'm a terrible test-taker, though I see myself as a strong student. I agree that there needs to be accountability, but I think a student's knowledge and ability, as well as an educator's, should be based on more than a simple test score.

I wish I could say that I had a better alternative than testing, but I don't. It is easy to sit here and say what should be changed, but it is quite a challenge to come up with a suitable alternative.

Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:56 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think they carry to much weight and implications when the students don't do well on them. I don't like the way it forces teachers to teach a test instead of letting students engage in more critical thinking type questions. If anything they teachers should be evaluated for their teaching and their grading. As long as teachers are meeting standards, shows evidence of teaching the SCOS, then whatever grades students make from their test in class to reflect their final overall grade should be enough.

Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:04 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

It's hard for me to say that I agree with the EOG's because I think that there is an inherent problem in relying on one test to determine any educational factor. I think that they way we are testing kids today, we are only encouraging unhealthy competitiveness, cheating, and high levels of stress. I think that a real learning environment should be the opposite of those. There needs to be another way to determine the learning capacities of our students; we cannot simply rely on standardized tests.

Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]