View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 The Other End of Socioeconomic Status 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

From my own expereience I feel that my socioeconmic status didn't help me much. As I've stated before I was in the higher middle class growing up. When I was elementary school I had trouble comprehending what I read and learning in general. Teachers for the most part ignored it, they always let me go on to the next grade.
Do you think this was because of my socioeconomic status and the fact that teachers assumed that my parents would take care of the issue and someday I would catch up to the other students?

Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:35 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I used the excuse for being admitted to the school of science and math: "I'm just there to meet the quota and represent the demographics of the state." I think I used it so much I started to believe it myself!

I've felt behind in my studies throughout my entire school career, but I think it was because I was constantly comparing myself to what I saw to be the better achievements of others. In that regard I'd always fall short of my own expectations of myself; however I'm starting to see that we are our own worst critic, in most any situation. I'm sure all of us accel in many different areas, depending on our interests and the application of our learning, regardless of our socioeconomic class.

Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:53 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Unfortunately I think that there are some teahers who do believe that the kids who come from a higher socioeconomic status do feel that they will catch up eventually. I think that teachers need to look at the ability regardless of socioeconomic status to determine what each student needs.

Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]