View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 The Human Lives Behind the Labels, reading 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

While reading "The Human Lives Behind the Labels: The Global Sweatshop, Nike, and the race to the bottom", I wondered how often such issues were brought up in a classroom. In my opinion, education and learning is not just simply about what is in the given textbook. This reading focused on children working in sweatshops, and a teacher who opened this topic up in his classroom.

I think that we can get very caught up in the world in front of us, and we regret to look past that to other nations and people. I greatly respect this teacher who brought up such an extreme issue, and how he really made his students look past their own lives.

Don't you feel as educators, it is our duty to not only teach our students, but to make them aware of the world they are living in?

Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:03 am

I think that that is something that is really missing in the classroom too. Not only are we learning facts and information, we are learning how to be a well developed person. I know that culturally the world is diverse and so we should attempt to bring diversity into our teaching. Bringing students attention to current news and happenings is a great way to broaden our and their scope. We need to be aware of what is going on in the world to even concieve the idea of change.

Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:00 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I love the current news idea and the great thing about it is that you can use current events in every subject. Integrating lessons is one of the best things about teaching to me because it lets us show our creativity in relating Math to social studies in the upcoming election, or history to art in different periods of time ... the lessons or units you could put together integrating subjects and current events are endless and always changing.

Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:15 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Absolutely! I totally believe in those teachable moments! If a tangent to study comes around and the students have something perhaps more memorable and useful than the current topics being covered, I'm all for it! - particularly with current events and any new ideas or information which is far to dynamic to predict, and may contain some life-lessons which could bring the class closer together or boost morale!

--stuart--

Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:13 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree also. Students need to be aware of how lucky they have it compared to students in other parts of the world. They might complain about having a little home work, but if they realize that some children, so early as the age of 4 or 5, are having to work in sweatshops they would really open there eyes.

Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]