View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 No Child Left Behind 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am wondering how everyone feels about the No Child Left Behind act? Do you think it can or needs to be changed or do you feel it should be left alone?

Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:50 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In our Ed. Psyche class, we did a group project on it - I tried to read through much of the 970 page document, became a little frustrated with its redundancy, but did admire it's attempt to be flexible. It appears there are many ways of revising and reinterpreting it. NCLB's goal was pretty straight forward, to make sure every student gets the best education possible. It leaves room for reallocation of funds for many different forms of educational programs, from pre-K and afterschool, to college prep. To change it might be to simplify it a little, but the way it's set up changing it might make it a little more complicated. I guess I'm neither for changing it nor keeping it the same - I do think it's a good idea to know and understand the power each school board has within their district/system for taking action concerning NCLB. (Becoming familiar with all those 3 letter acronyms is helpful too!)

--Stuart

Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:34 am
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

NCLB is a crock of crap. Probably the dumbest thing ever for education and students. I have done 2 research papers on NCLB and everything I found pointed away from it. Studies have shown that having PE in the students' routine either improves their test scores/interaction in class or they maintain. If we're going to have NCLB there needs to be some major improvements in order to not turn children off of school. We're not only hurting our schools as far as the students' well being--we're hurting the American people/teachers that are not in the academic fields of education.

Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:08 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I'm with Ms. Sime on this one. I appreciate that NCLB recognizes the gaps that need to be closed and that it knows it will take drastic action to reverse the course. However, it is not at all being managed effectively.

Federal action needs to be taken to provide the resources educators need to help all students, regardless of their SES or intelligence. Instead the money is being used to run a bureaucracy that only finds areas lacking success and punishes the people who had been fighting as hard as anyone.

Take the dollars wasted in order to double the size of the Dept. of Education and use them to provide programs that keep kids from "falling in the cracks," keep them in school, and keep our teachers from having to build courses targeted at the lowest common denominator of students.

Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:37 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have to say that I completely agree with Robert and Maggie. I don't think it is fair to the students or educators. To teach a child with special needs with a general education in education is not really giving the child the best possible education. I like the idea of including the students as far as on a social level, but not academically. As Robert says, if money were spent providing programs to help students rather then used to build bigger buildings or make the school beautiful, then maybe kids would want to stay in school! The only possible strategy that I can agree with or make me feel better about the NCLB is inclusion. Inclusion allows the students to be in the classroom and special educators come in and help. There just really needs to be more organization to make this work and not so much emphasis on testing all on the same level. I honestly just feel it's a "crock of crap too" Maggie!!

Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:32 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I come from an education family that includes school consolers, teachers, and administrators and if you want to start a fight in my family, NCLB is a good way to do it. I have noticed in my family's many talks (yells) about it, that the more responsibility a person has in the school system, the more they approve of NCLB, while the teachers and consolers think it should be replaced. I think this is interesting because the administrators have heat on them just like the teachers, maybe more if a school is under performing, yet they favor it more, maybe because they don't have to implement it in the classroom everyday. Does anyone else have a similar situation or know of people who really support it? I think its interesting, and although I don't know a lot about the law, I think it's good that the government is attempting to make schools accountable, but I wish they would include music, arts, pe, and other 'outside' subjects more.

Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:10 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

No Child Left Behind is terrible! Teachers are teaching tests not subject matter. I've just recently read the book Freakonomics and it was discussing No Child Left Behind and how it has lead to teachers cheating. In Chicago, Teachers were changing the answers that their students had filled in. The reason this teacher was changing the answers is because she knew that her students would fail and their funding would be taken away. I'm sorry soon to be Mr. Bush, but this is a load of crap. It would seem to me that the schools that were scoring lower scores would need more funding to improve!

Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:12 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

It doesn't make sense to withhold money from schools that are already performing poorly and just keep giving more money to the school that already have it and don't need it. This just seems to echo even more what we've been talking about with social class.

Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:56 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree that it is an extremely flawed act. I think one major thing it takes away from is teacher flexibility. I did an internship early this summer with the cooperating teacher that I will have this fall for student teaching and she said that she has tried her hardest to not "teach to the test" but in the end it always comes back to that. You simply have to teach what is going to be on the test because that is how you are evaluated as a school. Standardized testing is a terrible thing because some students just do not test well, but on the other hand, what is a better way to represent the vast majority of students. Unfortunately I don't have that answer. And I agree that taking money from a school for under performing is definitely not the answer.

Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:14 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree that this act is not working and it is not a good idea. My cousin has a heart condition and she is on medication that helps her heart to idk i guess keep a steady beat. She is in 8th grade now, but she still has a reading level of 5th grader. Her doctors have determined that it is her medication that is slowing her down but theres not much they can do bc her life depends on this medication. So with this Act she has just been pushed through school because "its okay" and its not her fault she is slower than everyone else. And yes i agree its not her fault but think about the emotional affects this is causing her because she feels stupid compared to her friends. I feel bad for the students that feel inadequate because they are just being ushered a long and are truly suffering in their courses. And i think its crazy that a teacher would cheat or help a student on tests so that they pass but i have witnessed it first hand.. (not to mention the teacher had been a round for a LONG time, and she still cheated for her students)-- insane..

Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]